Thread: case for 4x5 with 20in monorail?????

case for 4x5 with 20in monorail?????

I recently bought a used calumet 4x5 camera that is attached to a 20 in monorail. It did not come with a case and the ones online are outrageously expensive! Any suggestions of a cheaper way to got about transporting/protecting my camera? I am fine with putting something together myself, but I have no idea where to start.

I picked up a large top-zippered cloth duffel bag with a solid bottom, wheels on one end, and a handle at the other; built a 1/4" plywood interior section which reaches to the top and is notched to hold my Cambo rail and partitions the interior into sections to hold all the smaller accessories: a smaller plywood rack holds lenses in lensboards upright toward the right end with other spare parts on the extreme right end, film holders and a case of lens accessories on the left end. Words great, and rolls around easily when I don't have to pick it up by its top handle to go over uneven surfaces.

If you don't need all that monorail, get the hacksaw out. Really. It's a cheap camera - why not?

Abby, if you are speaking about a Calumet/Cambo 45NX, I have two new ones. I have used them since 1967 when they were green. Extremely nice cameras. No extra (heavy) frills to collect dirt. Much stronger and easier to use than a wooden flat bed camera.

The 20" monorail is absolutely necessary for studio product and portrait work and handy for location. If you want something shorter to travel with, a shorter "wide-angle" eleven-inch rail is available to substitute.

It is also possible to disconnect the bellows from one standard of a 45NX and then swing both standards 90 degrees sideways, making an extremely flat package. It would probably then fit in the bottom of most suitcases, under your clothes.

I built a case for my cc-403 Calumet monorail. It's 21ish long. I made mine out of aluminum sheet and riveted it together but this is not for the average hobbyist. I found myself in the same boat looking for a case that was less money than the camera! My case is just a box with two U shaped pieces, one at each end, that hold the rail. Most monorail cases I have seen have two supports with a notch in each that support the rail on each side of the standard. The tool tote idea listed above is good. You could modify the tool tote with the supports I described.
    Try calling Midwest Photo Exchange and tell them what you've got. They have used cases sometimes. I've seen used calumet cases go for 50-80 bucks. Email me if you want a pic of the one I built.
    Matt

I had a 4x5 Kodak Master Veiw which was the same camera as the CC-400. It came with an oak case (two vertical dividers that straddled the standards when compressed in the center, each with a notch in the top that fit the rail......the camera rested upside down). It was pretty, but weighed a ton. I kept it in the trunk while I transported the camera.

Hi Abby.
    I'm in the process of selling my Toyo 45G system. I'm getting ready to put it on eBay this weekend. Part of that system is a custom hard case that has housed the camera for many years. My Toyo is on a 20" monorail and fits perfectly into the case. The case is well used but well built and has room for several film holders as well. If you're interested, email me off line. The case cost $200 new, but you can have it for $50 plus shipping from So Cal.

Doug

How about a cooler (ice chest) with plywood inserts to hold the rail? Coolers are cheap, and some of them have wheels.

Jim Ewins

I've slipped the front & rear standards off my 8x10 B&J, wrapped it in a neoprene diaper and slipped it into a backpack. The 20' rail slips along side. The pack is deep enough to place 5 holders and dark cloth on top. Side pockets for filters and tripod mount.