Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Best Value for 8x10 Field Camera?

Vince Donovan

Re: Best Value for 8x10 Field Camera?

Svedovkys are reasonably priced and very solidly constructed:
    http://svedovsky.com/cameras/8x10-camera/

I have the 8x10 and while I don't love it, I like it. It's quite compact, but can extend reallllly far. I don't like the mechanism for front swing and shift, and I miss having rear swing, but other than that it's a fine very portable 8x10.

I have a real double-extension 8x10 Tachihara with a 5x7 reducing back that I love.
    With bellows from 90mm to 550mm it will handle a wide range of lenses.
    It has generous front and rear movements, including 120mm front rise.

This is a gorgeous camera, made from 300-year-old Japanese cherry.

At 10.3 pounds in a 12x12x4-inch package it's not all that large.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    As a former Deardorff owner, I say KMV. Set up, leveling, focusing are all quick and intuitive. Plus, it's metal. I got a Technika adapter board and have all my lenses in readily-available Technika boards. The main reasons I switched was that the KMV has front shift, more front rise, and very quick focusing compared to the Deardorff.
    I second Thom's comments. I highly recommend the Kodak Master. In addition, I like the large knobs and much prefer the position of the fine focus on the side of the rear standard instead of at the center like on some cameras (e.g. Chamonix). Seems like a more natural position to me.

I also have a Technica board adapter for smaller lenses but mostly use full size lens boards. Michael Smith and Paula Chamlee made very nice boards a few years back. I would contact them if you can't find any. Alternatively you can make your own boards out of 1/16" aluminum stock and glue felt to the back for the light trap as one of the members on this forum does.

Quote Originally Posted by Thom Bennett View Post
    As a former Deardorff owner, I say KMV. Set up, leveling, focusing are all quick and intuitive. Plus, it's metal....
    Thom, I know you prefer the KMV, but your Deardorff was very loose which is why I sent it off for a full restoration when I bought it. That being said, I have no experience with the KMV, so cannot comment on your assessment of that camera. Since I know you've done this a long time, and I respect your opinion, I'm sure the KMV is a very nice albeit heavy camera.

In the past, I have owned Wistas, Zone VI's, Wisners, Canhams and Deardorffs. While all have their strengths and quirks, I presently own 5 Deardorffs, so I must really like them. Two I bough new in 1987, the others I bought used in various states and had 2 of them restored. One V8 I think was unused and sat on someone's shelf for 40 years! A good thing about the Deardorffs is that since they were made in the thousands, they are readily available. With some careful shopping, you can usually find a camera in good shape that will fit your budget. Wehmans are supposed to be fine cameras, but made in very, very small numbers compared to the Dorffs.

As has been noted in this thread, there are quite a few choices in new and used 8x10 cameras. The only way the OP is going to make an intelligent decision is to go out and see or preferably try some. You can read specs till the cows come home, but they won't tell the whole story like using a camera will. If you reach out to LLF members in your area, I'm sure they'll gladly show you their cameras. Sort of like getting a mail order spouse in the old days, but that's a whole other story...............L
    Last edited by Luis-F-S; 10-Jan-2017 at 12:01.

Don't buy anything too pretty else you won't want to use it.

In the end ya pays yer money and ya takes yer choice. Consider your budget and choose wisely. It pays to get something which you'll be able to sell later if you need and still be able to recover your basic investment. As to format, you can't go wrong with either 5x7 or 8x10. Your personal preference and aesthetics will guide you. It all costs money.
    Last edited by William Whitaker; 10-Jan-2017 at 11:17.

EdC,

You have not indicated how you are looking at reproducing your images, other than your comment on alternative processes.

If you are looking at conventional B&W enlarging, finding a 5x7 enlarger will be considerably easier and take up considerably less room.

If you are looking at alternate processes, then digital negatives might make the differences in sizes moot.

I do not see those issues being addressed in this discussion.

Asking more questions than answering, but wondering whether the important questions have been asked and answered yet...

Good luck in your efforts,

Len

P.S. Another happy V8 owner...

My situation is similar to Will's post prior to this. A Deardorff was my main 8x10 for a long time while I was getting an old Conley into working condition. I bought a Toyo 810M from a forum member and it's my most used 8x10 now. The Deardorff sits unused because of its looseness which made it hard to lock down settings where I want them. The Conley turned out to be a sweet addition. It's by far the lightest of the three, and easiest to pack with a lens attached. It anchors my minimalist 8x10 kit, to go light and fast (relatively speaking). The Conley lacks full movements but it's fine outdoors and for portraits with a 12 inch Kodak Commercial Ektar.

The more you want, the more you will need to pay. But quite a bit of capability can be acquired with a simpler and less expensive 8x10.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lobato View Post
    My situation is similar to Will's post prior to this.
    Sorry David. I thought I sounded like I was pontificating again and edited my post apparently as you were composing yours.

New Orleans, LA

Luis, I'm sure that Deardorff was loose! I'd love to see it restored. One thing about the KMV weight; it's the about the same as the Deardorff.

Luis makes a great point about connecting with 8x10 owners in your area and actually handling as many 8x10 cameras as you can. That really is the only way to make an informed decision. I had seen chatter about KMV's and knew that Michael and Paula used them but until I handled one and realized it fit my needs did I decide to switch teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    Thom, I know you prefer the KMV, but your Deardorff was very loose which is why I sent it off for a full restoration when I bought it. That being said, I have no experience with the KMV, so cannot comment on your assessment of that camera. Since I know you've done this a long time, and I respect your opinion, I'm sure the KMV is a very nice albeit heavy camera.

In the past, I have owned Wistas, Zone VI's, Wisners, Canhams and Deardorffs. While all have their strengths and quirks, I presently own 5 Deardorffs, so I must really like them. Two I bough new in 1987, the others I bought used in various states and had 2 of them restored. One V8 I think was unused and sat on someone's shelf for 40 years! A good thing about the Deardorffs is that since they were made in the thousands, they are readily available. With some careful shopping, you can usually find a camera in good shape that will fit your budget. Wehmans are supposed to be fine cameras, but made in very, very small numbers compared to the Dorffs.

As has been noted in this thread, there are quite a few choices in new and used 8x10 cameras. The only way the OP is going to make an intelligent decision is to go out and see or preferably try some. You can read specs till the cows come home, but they won't tell the whole story like using a camera will. If you reach out to LLF members in your area, I'm sure they'll gladly show you their cameras. Sort of like getting a mail order spouse in the old days, but that's a whole other story...............L

A Kodak 2D can be a good camera that's reasonably light weight and reasonably priced. I had one for a while, but sold it. The bellows had a problem, in that, with any significant rise, a portion could intrude on the image, cutting off a strip of light onto the negative. Perhaps the bellows wasn't original, or too stiff.