Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need super bright LF lens for macro

Re: Need super bright LF lens for macro

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Jim, a 'scope might do, there used to be 4x5 photo attachments for compound microscopes. I'm not aware of any for 8x10, but as we all know I don't know everything. But 20x is on the low side for a compound microscope. Maybe a good grade of dissecting microscope ...
    Linhof made a Micro Board in both 45 and 23 Technika sizes. Any camera that accepts a Technika 45 board can use it. It consisted of the board, 0 shutter and a short tube that will mate to ant society size draw tube. With this it would be easy to get an 810 camera mounted to a microscope as long as that camera, or an adapter board, accepts flat Technika 45 lens boards.

BTW, Linhof also made a Macro Board, this board, depending on when it was made, accepted either Luminar from 16 to 100mm or, after Luminars were discontinued, 39mm Leica thread mount lenses like the M Componon or Apo Rodagon-D lenses. It consisted of a flat board with a long tapered tube with a 0 shutter. Extreme magnifications of up to about 16x were possible, depending on focal length on a 45 Technika. The tapered tube was very important as it allowed getting lights in close to the lens without casting a shadow from the tube and shutter. These were usually used with cold light light systems like the ones from Kaiser and Zeiss.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Linhof made a Micro Board in both 45 and 23 Technika sizes...
    Very interesting information !

Good to know why those extended Linhof lens boards are tapered. Seems obvious now. I used to use a stereo microscope to look for tiny cracks in steel rings at 100/1 then used the scope third port to 'snap' a video camera still that printed to a Sony 4x5 digital printer. Not Polaroid but some expensive commercial Sony gizmo. Called micro sections cast into resin, cut in half and polished. Lit from below with fiber optic tubes. PITA

Suggest spending some time at this web page regarding macro-micro photography.
    http://www.savazzi.net/photography/default.htm

High intensity lighting with low heat can be accomplished by using a fiber optic light source (Kilowatts easily possible, specially with flash) with the light source at one end and fiber optic directly at the subject at the other end. Fiber optic ring lights in a variety of diameters and working distances are readily available.

At 20X, a proper microscope/microscope would be the better way. That branch of speciality has evolved specialty optical systems that work very well for that requirement. From optics to illuminate systems and more. One of the excellent 4x5 imaging microscopes from that time would be the Zeiss Untraphot system (Luminar was originally part of this system. Luminar was also used on Zeiss Universal and Photomicroscope) and the Leitz Aristophot. Zeiss Luminar & Photar were similar in optical imaging applications. Today there are specialty macro infinity correct, Plan, NIR, APO objectives made by Mitutoyo and others.

Bernice

Let's not forget about Minolta's microscope lenses either -- which are basically Photars -- 12.5mm and 25mm. They have an RMS thread.

http://subclub.org/minman/macro.htm

get bigger lights

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    get bigger lights
    Not bigger, much smaller cold lights on flexible arms that can easily get much, much closer to the object. Your way you would not be able to get most of the light onto the subject.

Thanks again all for this great information. I will look into the equipment you describe.

This has migrated from my question - which was really focused on achieving a particular setup for the hell of it - whether a good idea or not, to the best approaches. All of which are good information for me.

Thank you,
    Alexandra

Hi Alexandra,

shooting 4x5" using a microscope and microscope camera is one of my favourite ways to get to negatives for alternative processes. Examples here:https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145...57676072065411.
    I use a Zeiss MC63 camera with 4x5" back and a great Prontor magnetic shutter.
    A magnification of 20x is on the lower site, a 2.5 (e.g. a Plan 2.5/0.08) lens could be used.
    It sure takes some effort to get all the parts you need...
    Greetings
    Jens

Very cool and that's LF!

Thanks for the link to your prints.

Quote Originally Posted by Myriophyllum View Post
    Hi Alexandra,

shooting 4x5" using a microscope and microscope camera is one of my favourite ways to get to negatives for alternative processes. Examples here:https://www.flickr.com/photos/136145...57676072065411.
    I use a Zeiss MC63 camera with 4x5" back and a great Prontor magnetic shutter.
    It sure takes some effort to get all the parts you need...
    Greetings
    Jens