Thread: Who is using, or has a 1890's Scovill Albion (NY) 6.5 x 8.5 field camera

Who is using, or has a 1890's Scovill Albion (NY) 6.5 x 8.5 field camera

Who has the above as well as who is using this particular camera, and what lens are you using? I have this camera which I recently restored, thanks to help from forum members, as well as the original lens which is a Rochester Victor lens.

I am aware that this sized camera as well as this camera itself was fazed out rather early due to the acceptance of either 5x7 or 8x10 cameras.

I am not using this specific film, however, I am using Rochester 5x7 adapters within the 6.5 x 8.5 film holders. And who might have Scovill 6.5 x 8.5 film holders for sale? My film holders (Rochesters) had to be adapted to the Scovill camera.

I am in Colorado--anyone close bye who might be using their Scovill camera?

Raymond

Foamer

Re: Who is using, or has a 1890's Scovill Albion (NY) 6.5 x 8.5 field camera

As I recall, the great F.J. Haynes had that camera, set up for stereo. He bragged about having Voigtlander's best rapid rectilinear lenses (4, 6, & 8 in.?) in one letter to his wife.

http://www.yellowstonepark.com/vinta...tcards-haynes/

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    As I recall, the great F.J. Haynes had that camera, set up for stereo. He bragged about having Voigtlander's best rapid rectilinear lenses (4, 6, & 8 in.?) in one letter to his wife.

http://www.yellowstonepark.com/vinta...tcards-haynes/

Kent in SD
    Kent---thank you for your response---I have never run across this photographer, FJ Haynes---thank you for the introduction.

You state that he used this Scovill Albion camera in a "stereo" mode---were there film holders (6.5 x 8.5) which allowed for 2 images on the same negative?? Raymond

Foamer

OK, I dug out my book on F.J. Haynes, and he owned two Scovill 5x8 cameras. One was from 1878 (American Optical). The lenses (stereo) were Ross rapid rectilinears. Serial #17049/50. His second camera from 1881 was also American Optical Co., with Prosch shutters on RR lenses 4 in., 6 in., 8 in. For the 5x8 he also had an 8 in. Bausch & Lomb Rapid Universal in Volute shutter. He also had an American Optical 20x24 camera with a Voigtlander lens (1881).

From the book, "Following the Frontier, with F. Jay Haynes" by Freeman Tilden 1964. One of my favorite books!

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!