Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In search of a missing element for Dallmeyer 3B

In search of a missing element for Dallmeyer 3B

Hi All,

This is my first post here although I've been reading the forum every now and then.

I have a Dallmeyer 3B lens that seem to be missing one of the rear elements. My knowledge is very limited so it could be the front one if its possible that the order of the lenses was changed; current rear element is glued to the body.

Obviously, I'd love to be able to use this lens for my alt processes work so I thought I'll ask around: does anyone have or heard of someone having other incomplete 3B that they will be willing to sell? Any advise where to look for one will be highly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Kasia
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R0021240.jpg  

Re: In search of a missing element for Dallmeyer 3B

Hi Kasia, good to see you over here too...

Finding that element will probably be an extreme long shot. But show us what you do have (carefully unscrew those lens elements) and the people here can tell you exactly what you are missing and -of course- what it is you are looking for.

If the rear element is really stuck, you could shine a torch light into it when the front is taken out and describe the reflections you see (how many, faint or dim).

It would be wonderful if you could complete your lens.

Cheers, Maurits

Hi Maurits,

Many thanks for your help here and on the Facebook group. I'll try to unscrew the rear element but it seems impossible without some tools. For now, few poor photos of the front element (group?) can be downloaded from here - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7475217/3B_FrontElement.zip, whole lens & parts here - https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7475217/3B.zip

I don't have high hopes for finding the missing element but it would be silly not to try at least!

All the best,
    Kasia

So.... we managed to determine that I'm missing the whole front group of my Dallmeyer 3B Patent lens. If anyone knows or will hear of other incomplete 3B that could help me get mine to working condition please let me know!

K

The whole front group? I can see the front group ( the cemented pair) in your first post/image.

I believe u r missing the dallmeyer FLINT lens.

Good luck. If u ever find one be sure to buy a lottery ticket as it will be your lucky day!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Eddie, it looks like someone stuck the rear flint up front. Even the little pin from the soft focus setting is visible... And then they shoe-horned the rear crown into the back and glued it... Unbelievable...

Maurits

Alex Timmermans

Eddie, she's missing the front group for sure.
    We did some photo exchange yesterday. The inner part of the back is mounted in the front.
    The outer part of the back is glued at the back of the lens........ So they made a mess of it.

Alex
    "You dont take a picture, it's given to you"

www.alextimmermans.com
    www.collodion-art.blogspot.com
    email : collodion-art dot onsmail dot nl

oh! now i am home and was able to open that zip file. amazing.....creative lens construction.
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

It is the rear pair which is unique factor in the soft petzval series from Dallmeyer - so it might be worthwhile looking for a suitable focal length front achromat that fits in the front thread. I doubt the performance of the "soft unit rear section" would be very different from the standard 3B although the overall optical characteristics will be different (unique). I have a couple of "lost" quality period front achromats, but nothing larger than the 2B size.
    I had a similar problem - complete 3B cells, but no barrel - and I now have a working 3B! So you are quite well equiped, by comparison.

With a bit of patience and loads of alcohol I managed to free the rear element and put the whole group together as it should be. Thank you for your advise Steven, since finding real lenses may proof impossible I might look into doing just that!

Maurits and Alex - thanks again for all your help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2012-08-11-20.39.18.jpg