Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Altering lens configuration

Re: Altering lens configuration

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    I think you're missing the point of my posting. I was curious as to what might be done, there was no inference of bettering a commercial lens design. Your comments infer that filters should not be used since they alter the effect of the image that would be captured by an unfiltered lens.
    regards
    Tony
    Tony, filters are fine, though they will have some effect which is why I typically only use wratten gel filters, and why there are cheap and expensive filters. I thought you were referring to the folks who try to improve lenses by changing the spacing, or make up new focal lengths by swapping cells.................Convertible lenses were typically designed as such, though as everything, there is some price to pay. L

Quote Originally Posted by Luis-F-S View Post
    I thought you were referring to the folks who try to improve lenses by changing the spacing, L
    No problem, posting are easily not fully explained or misunderstood

regards
    Tony

Other mfgs also made Telek type lenses, such as Tiffen, Enteco, Milo, and other house brands... Usually they come in series 6, but I have some in series 7 & 8... They are out there, quietly sitting in the dark somewhere...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    Other mfgs also made Telek type lenses, Usually they come in series 6, but I have some in series 7 & 8... Steve K
    Steve, unless I'm mistaken the series lenses are slip-in not screw in lenses. I've seen several items purporting to be aux telephoto lens [ AVIGON AUX. TELEPHOTO LENS – COLLECTORS? EXPERIMENTERS? ( 162280194135 )] - some of which would screw straight into the 'filter thread of my xenar lens.

What are the advantages of the series type lens - or am I still confused.

regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Steve, unless I'm mistaken the series lenses are slip-in not screw in lenses. I've seen several items purporting to be aux telephoto lens [ AVIGON AUX. TELEPHOTO LENS – COLLECTORS? EXPERIMENTERS? ( 162280194135 )] - some of which would screw straight into the 'filter thread of my xenar lens.

What are the advantages of the series type lens - or am I still confused.

regards
    Tony
    The series sizes are regular filter sizes that have un-threaded mounts, that are placed inside a ring that usually slips over the outside of the lens barrel, and the filter is held in place by a retaining ring that screws into the barrel ring... The ser 6 is about 1 5/8" / 41mm dia, and the ser 7 is about 2" / 50mm dia...

These type of lenses are like a camera filter single element negative lens, the opposite of a C/U lens, and should be fairly cheap... Not to be confused with the aux multi-element attachments (which could work too), but the teleks are good to leave in the bottom of your camera kit if another lens is not available, but not nearly as good as a prime lens...

The nice thing about series filters is that with the proper adapter (for that size group), they can fit on a number of lenses so less filters to carry around, esp with smaller lens barrels... But every lens needs an adapter for it...

Steve K

Steve,
    as always thank you very much
    Tony