Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Photogenic wilderness near Chicago

Photogenic wilderness near Chicago

Ron,
    It's a bit out of your range but Turkey Run State park in Indiana has some amazing stuff if you poke around the trails. It's hilly there and there are some spots on the trails that I remember seeing old poplar trees at least 75-100 feet tall. I've been meaning to back with the view camera. According to yahoomaps it's 200 miles from Chitown. www.turkeyrunstatepark.com

Thank-you very much for all of the informative posts. Many of the suggestions sound promising. I am new to large format and have a number of images floating around in my head that I would like to affix to an emulsion.

Ron, I've come late to this thread, so there's not a lot that I can add. Someone mentioned Indiana Dunes; this is actually comprised of several different areas. Indiana Dunes State Park is an area of forest and dunes, and has some areas that are quite remote if you're willing to hike a couple of miles to get there. There's also Indiana Dunes National Lakeshore, made up of scattered segments along the lake. There are also some nice areas within those segments, and well worth driving over to explore them.

I agree with the suggestions for Starved Rock and Turkey Run SP (Indiana). Near Turkey Run is Shades SP, an area similar to Turkey Run and much less crowded.

You'll find some sample images in my online galleries if you'd like to take a look.

Best regards,
    Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

Abuser of God's Sunlight

the Chicago version of wilderness might be cabrini green.

A few years ago Sean Yates with his 8x10 Kodak Master and me with my 4x5 Busch had a very nice session at the OXBOW Park in Hammond, Indiana. A boardwalk winds through it.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

If my memory serves me well, as a once longtime resident of Kankakee, the State park (mentioned above) has what was then called Rock creek, which feeds into the river, and if followed up aways comes to a nice little water falls (8-10 feet) and lots of rock outcroppings.

I always enjoyed some of the farmland down that away too.

Let us know where you go and what your impressions are.
    "I invent nothing, I rediscover"
    August Rodin

My Now old Photo Site

Where ever you go, make sure you go fully armed - the US countryside sounds an awfully violent place.

Mark - that was an unecessary jab.

Ron - I've found that even some of the larger city parks have areas of substantial wildness in them.

Jackson park has the wooded ilse, which has a regular path, but also many "rabbit trails" going into the woods and waterways.

There is also a large forest preserve on the north side, up at Milwaukee and Devon, along the North Branch of the River.

Just a thought.

Go West to the Iowa/Wisconsin/Illinois border and visit the mounds that the Native Americans built (mounded?) along the Mississippi near Des Moines.

Old School Wayne

Yeah Mark, that was unnecessary--but funny.