Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Period lens suggestions for 1915-ish 8x10?

Re: Period lens suggestions for 1915-ish 8x10?

The Velostigmat of course. I have a B&L 1C 11X14 Tessar that has 1903 stamped on the barrel but I am guessing mine was made in the teens or 20's - they also make an 8X10 version which is probably close to 300mm.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Speaking of which, I picked up a beat up Series III Wide Angle Velostigmat F:9.5 (uncoated).
    Since this is a project for fun and contact printing sometimes and not for a high artistic purpose, a less than perfect lens in a wild focal length was welcome.

Still keeping my eyes open for something from all these suggestions more suited to portraits, though. The world totally needs more high contrast old men with crinkly faces printed. And gnarly trees

I'd go for a 240mm Dagor in a shutter. I use a 300mm Dagor with my 10x8 Agfa Ansco it's a very nice sharp lens, coated after WWII for the original owner. If I found a 240mm/9½" at the right price I'd buy it but they aren't common here in Europe. I have a 1912/3 120mm (Berlin) Dagor for my 7x5 Senecas, an nice contrasty lens compared to Tessars and type..

Ian

It depends on the look you are seeking. Rapid Rectilinears and even Petzvals (Wollensak made improved ones), render and excellnt look to out-of-focus areas. But Tessars can be nice in that regard too. Dagors are wonderful sharp lenses, but the bokeh is not that great IMO. You might buy a copy of "Professional Portrait Lightings" by Charles Abel. Though written in the late 1940's, the cameras and lenses used by the many professionals he interviewed are essentially from the period you are interested in, when the photographers were trained. Only the lighting was contemporary to when the book was written. Aside from the lighting, it really is a window in early 20th century photography.

Not easy finding a Dagor in the States either, that isn't just a barrel or completely beat up. Keeping my eyes open, it'll be at least a month or two before the camera project is ready.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick13 View Post
    Not easy finding a Dagor in the States either, that isn't just a barrel or completely beat up. Keeping my eyes open, it'll be at least a month or two before the camera project is ready.
    Dagors were made for a few decades longer by Goerz AM Opt in the US after CP Goerz, Berlin, became part of Zeiss Ikon. There's been plenty of excellent Dagors available on Ebay, this forum, APUG etc over the years and they still turn up. You need to be careful not to pay "Cult" prices but that goes for Protars as well.

Realism is the key, I paid £30 ($37 approx) for a mint 1912/3 120mm Dagor in a Compound shutter (still accurate) a few months ago, it may have never been mounted on a lens board/camera.

I've seen a lot of 240mm Dagors sell quite cheaply, it's the 12"" and longer that are most desirable and "Cult" because a 12" (300mm) will cover 12x10 or even 14x11 stopped right down, and coverage increases with FL I don't remember 240mm Dagors being expensive, I've more lenses than I need so at the moment would only buy an absolute bargain, knowing I could sell for more than I paid for it. If I wanted one I'd get one within a few weeks probably less than a month - wanted adverts work well

Ian

Ian, Goerz American offered Dagors at least into the 1960s.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Ian, Goerz American offered Dagors at least into the 1960s.
    Dagors were listed in the 1971 CP Goerz Am Opt Catalogue, the year they were bought by Kollmorgen. So were made in the US considerable longer than in Berlin. However a post WWII Dagor wouldn't be a period lens.

Looking at prices on Ebay most are way to highe, except maybe for very late versions, I notice a 120mm Daor for 9x what I paid for mine and in not so good condition, in addition it's in the wrong size dial set Compur shutter with adapters and there's a very high risk the spacing isn't right.

I'd be looking at other period (presumably US made) lenses assuming it's an American made camera, keeping an eye on coverage. remembering that a 12"/300mm Tessar or type lens is needed for 10x8, so B&L Tessar, Ilex Paragon, Wollensak Velostigmat. Shorter with similar (and more stopped right down ) is the Dagor or Protar and higher prcies, or an early WA lens.

Ian

Who cares when the lenses were made? Post-WW II Dagors and Beryls (made until Boyer closed in 1982) are period designs.

Oh, and by the way, the OP asked for moderate wide angle lenses for 8x10. Normal lenses don't meet the requirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick13 View Post
    Since I'm going to restore an 8x10 from the early 1900's decades I figure that I should add an appropriate lens to it...

TIA
    It sounded like he wanted "period" to go with his camera. I'd get a convertible Protar VIIa. Then you have a few options for focal lengths.