Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: November 2016 Portrait Thread

Re: November 2016 Portrait Thread

A really excellent start to the month's portrait thread.

Jnanian suggested we be adventurous and try something new:
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...something-else

I got rocks and trees AND portrait.. It's a start. I think I have found a good model. My family is awesome, but I'm trying something new here. Personally I am trying to take pictorialism in new directions, and my niece Taïna might be part of it. Next I will alt-process print these and then will change gears for some George Seeley style indoor portraits.

Pictorialism of old never strayed far from white folks either in victorian clothing or nudes. Not that skin color is important, but the pictorialists were helpful to an urban melting pot variety of people but rarely photographed those people. They were after beauty and missed much of it or never published it. Kasabier photographed some native Americans but not all softly, but perhaps that was just part of the fad or fascination of wildness that was prevalent for an era rather than trying to be innovative.

img294 by Jason Philbrook, on Flickr

Owls Head, Maine. November 2016. 4x5 speed graphic, 9" Gundlach Hyperion soft focus lens, FP4+ film in pyrocat hdc.

Quote Originally Posted by Robclarke View Post
    My daughter kindly posed for a portrait over the weekend. This is a quick scan, the composition is better on the negative some of which got cropped by the scanner (v800). Ilford HP5+ film Linhof master technika, Schneider APO 210mm lens at f5.6. It is a shame about the emulsion damage on the bottom left not sure what caused that. I will print this in the darkroom. Does anyone have any ideas how I can hide the emulsion damage at the printing stage?
    I think you'd be fine to crop that damage out of the final print by cropping the bottom of the photo. Crop a little off the left and you'll preserve the 4x5 aspect ratio and all will be well. This will be a treasured print.

“You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Pictorialism of old never strayed far from white folks either in victorian clothing or nudes...
    Are you familiar with the work of F. Holland Day or Edward Curtis?

A lovely portrait, JP. Pictorialism still wields a strong influence, at least in large format photography, and I think this is another example of why. It wouldn't be the same if made with a Plasmat at f/64, and the soft lens is only a part of this way of seeing...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Are you familiar with the work of F. Holland Day or Edward Curtis?

A lovely portrait, JP. Pictorialism still wields a strong influence, at least in large format photography, and I think this is another example of why. It wouldn't be the same if made with a Plasmat at f/64, and the soft lens is only a part of this way of seeing...
    Thanks. yes. Edward Curtis used pictorialism style for a few years but I don't think he was too dedicated to it and changed photography styles like underwear. Some of his soft photos are great. I think of him as someone who used the style but wasn't dedicated to it.

Day had a couple photos with black men in the background but rarely as a primary subject. His philanthropy helped many immigrants but I don't think, for the most part, his photography represented that. His seven last words series used costume which was probably not victorian.. But I think these are exceptions that sort of prove the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by jp View Post
    Thanks. yes. Edward Curtis used pictorialism style for a few years but I don't think he was too dedicated to it and changed photography styles like underwear. Some of his soft photos are great. I think of him as someone who used the style but wasn't dedicated to it.

Day had a couple photos with black men in the background but rarely as a primary subject. His philanthropy helped many immigrants but I don't think, for the most part, his photography represented that. His seven last words series used costume which was probably not victorian.. But I think these are exceptions that sort of prove the rule.
    If you ever see the original gravures from Curtis' North American Indian, they fit well within a pictorial aesthetic.

And Day made a number of images with blacks as the primary subject, in both costume and period dress:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3db5849f153fe4de3ca71dcfd366c23b.jpg   f-holland-day-ebony-and-ivory-1899.jpg   hb_33_43_158.jpg   b6793fb53c40a50f9e73a5a8763e5d98.jpg  
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

More:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cd638e6ee71a7122a597fad55743328c.jpg   dett-donepaidmyvow.jpg   107b7edee9376cc77d08e26d71781092.jpg   117ad4ef109b932887e52d1337a35696.jpg  

And more:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6401028575_0d0b2c90a3.jpg   o-DAY-570.jpg   DP257125.jpg   3467962aa02a8531b660b293547ba496.jpg  

Very good Mark; sincere thanks for the education; I only have two Day books which do not cover this well enough.

I like some of Curtis's darker photos where I read he shot within a tent, only carefully adding light to get the look he wanted.

I managed to get my son to sit for a portrait. Linhof Master Technika, Schneider 210mm f5.6 APO. Ilford HP5+ pushed 1 stop. Shot at f8 1/15s.

img336 by biotecbob, on Flickr