Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wista, Sinar or Cambo 4x5.

Wista, Sinar or Cambo 4x5.

Hi.

I've decided that I want a metal construction 4x5. I've had a Tachihara 4x5 and I remember it as being flimsy with longer lenses. Now that being said, I've been looking at the Wista 4x5 field cameras, they seem to be good (are they?). I'd want it to be rigid. I've also been looking at the 4x5 Sinars, in a previous thread I made I was made aware of the asymmetric tilt function, which I think would be nice. Does the Sinar F1-2 have this function or is it only the P1-2? The Sinars are also interesting due to the fact that you can mount a Sinar shutter on them (duh). Neither the Sinar or Wista are cheap option, but the Cambo (and clones) are very cheap. As little as $150. Are these cameras rigid and stable?

Now, I will mostly be using the camera for fieldwork, I shoot landscapes. Sometimes I will be trekking far, sometimes short. I'm aware that the weight of the Sinar P1-2 is around 7kg. That seems a bit on the heavy side. Is the asymmetric tilt function worth the extra weight? I'm inclined to go for the cheaper option, the Cambo. The Wista seems nice, but if the Cambo can be broken down and carried in a backpack, it seems to be the better alternative.

-Fredrick.

Re: Wista, Sinar or Cambo 4x5.

The way to make a Cambo compact for transport is to remove the bellows and rotate the standards 90 degrees so that the uprights are over the rail. With this done the camera will fit in a briefcase.

Is it possible to remove the standards from the rail? I have a pretty huge backpack, 130 Litres, which I guess I could fit either system into.

Ed Freniere

Have you considered the Toyo 45AII? It is a sturdy metal camera that is less costly than the Wista. I have been very happy with mine.

Quote Originally Posted by photog_ed View Post
    Have you considered the Toyo 45AII? It is a sturdy metal camera that is less costly than the Wista. I have been very happy with mine.
    Yes. I seem to have mismatched the Toyo and Wista. I have been looking at the 45A. Most of the Toyo 45 on ebay seem to have some sort of bellow issues, or costs more than a new Chamonix...

Quote Originally Posted by Fredrick View Post
    Is it possible to remove the standards from the rail? I have a pretty huge backpack, 130 Litres, which I guess I could fit either system into.
    Yes. Run the standard to the end of the rail, press on the lock, run the standard off the rail.

Linhof Technika is the choice of so many major name Landscape LF shooters. So many available these days at prices that are low. They are worth it.

If you are going to be trekking, both the size and weight of the backpack are important. For landscape work, the asymmetric tilts of the Sinar P2 is overkill. The F2 has base tilts, and since it has the same very good angle and DoF calculator as the P2, it is quite convenient. There is a trick to making the F2 also fold up a little more compactly. The F2 has fine focus on the rear standard which is a nice thing to have.

The basic Cambo is a very good deal, and can be folded as Dan suggests.

You could also look at the older Toyos with the thinner 25mm rail. Put the standards onto a short rail, and it is not much larger than a Wista. They are tough, have geared rise/fall and shift, and share almost all accessories with the G series, except for the rails.

The differences between the Toyo45A, AX and AII are minor. The AX has rubberized knobs, and the AII adds a revolving back. In my neck of the woods, the AII sells for considerably more than the A or AX.

The Wistas (except the basic N model), add a great deal of flexibility - there are wide angle and extension bellows and beds, special recessed lens boards and generous movements. The very slight extra for the Wista is IMO very well worth it.

For landscape, my favorite cameras are the Wista SP and the Toyo D45M.

Kumar

I used to buy monorail kits and part them out to sell on Ebay. I've owned quite a few Calumet/Cambo monorails. I've also owned a Sinar P for myself and a Sinar F. Even if you don't plan on using the Sinar Shutter I would much prefer a Sinar over a Cambo. That's my opinion.

I've also owned a Wista metal field camera for a short while. It was similar to the SP but a little older. A very good friend of mine owns a Toyo 45A. Both are fine cameras and it is a toss up between them. Some people prefer one and some the other. I would prefer the Wista VX over the SP to save a little weight.

For landscape work I would much prefer a Wista or Toyo folding metal camera over a monorail. They are easier to pack and much faster to set up.

I used a Cambo monorail for landscape work for about five years. I carried the standards, with attached bellows in a Lowepro mini trekker, and carried the rail separately. It was a little bit of a pain, but then it is large format. Nothing happens quickly....