Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New (to me) Horseman 4x5 camera

Re: New (to me) Horseman 4x5 camera

You have an L, I only acknowledge 2 models, L and LX, there is variation with LX, but L is L, which you have discovered is very adjustable. Your first lens was a bundle. Come back to it later. The Nikon is interesting. I have one.

I think Horseman are better than Sinar as they are more rigid. Horseman can use Sinar bellows and lens-boards.

When you get the Nikon we can discuss Horsemen GG and Fresnel. Or not.

Have fun!
    Last edited by Tin Can; 26-Oct-2016 at 20:07. Reason: Added LX
    Tin Can

Based on my experience with a Horseman LB, you will need a recessed lens board, and bag bellows to allow full movements and focus with a 90mm or shorter focal length. As noted below, the compatability with Sinar will work in your favour if you search online for the bits you need. Randy - the LB variant has gearing only at the focus stage,but I have never found this to be a problem in use. The camera is built like the proverbial brick outhouse...The LB has the usual movements,with the addition of a Yaw-Free base-tilt mechanism,in addition to the standard , on axis movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    You have an L, I only acknowledge 2 models, L and LX, there is variation with LX, but L is L, which you have discovered is very adjustable. Your first lens was a bundle. Come back to it later. The Nikon is interesting. I have one.

I think Horseman are better than Sinar as they are more rigid. Horseman can use Sinar bellows and lens-boards.

When you get the Nikon we can discuss Horsemen GG and Fresnel. Or not.

Have fun!

A quick update: I received the Nikkor 210mm/5.6 and I am very impressed. Condition is great and the shutter works perfectly. I am happy. It is huge, I love the heft of it.

I'll get a chance to try it out over the next few days but...

I have tripod issues: my Gitzo 275 is probably too lightweight for a heavy Horseman, and I lost the fixing bolt. A new one is on order but meanwhile I am considering purchasing something new or used that can handle heavy cameras. I am looking at used Linhof, Berlebach, Tiltall and as far as new is concerned I am looking at a setup under $250 tops.

Thanks again for the useful suggestions and ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by cp_photo View Post
    If I understand correctly the bellows extension needs to be equivalent to the distance from the film plane to achieve infinity focus?
    Hi Chris,

That approximation is close for lenses of moderate focal length, i.e. not for wide-angle or telephoto lenses.

To be more precise, the lens focal length = the distance from the film to the rear node of the lens when focused at infinity.

The rear node can be anywhere relative to the physical lens, even outside of it to the front or the rear.
    It depends on the lens design.

With lenses of moderate focal length, the rear node is usually at or very close to the diaphragm.
    This is true of your Nikkor W 210/5.6.

Wide-angle (short FL) lenses often have the rear node behind the rear lens element.
    Telephoto (long FL) lenses have the rear node in front of the front lens element, sometimes by a large distance.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Success! I was able to easily mount the Nikon lens and achieve crisp focus on the ground glass.

I'm curious if anyone more knowledgeable than me can tell me which model of Horseman I have. Here's a picture.

trying to attach the image once again.

To the sticky shutter on the other lens: Leaf shutters aren't rocket science to clean. I good soak of the actual shutter mechanism in lighter fluid has been the go-to field repair for decades. I've saved sluggish shutters in everything from WW-II vintage glass to Hasselblad lenses this way. If you're OK separating the lens elements from the shutter, give it a good soak in lighter fluid and then let it dry well and see how it works. Very little other than dried out lubricant bothers these.

Dave

Thank you - I was not able to attach the image of my Horseman to this thread but I did in the "Show off your camera" thread. So far I love it and its sturdy feel, and I have shot some nice images. So far only at home but hope to take it out places in the field this coming week, maybe once it stops raining in California.