Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can I leave film in stop bath for 7 minutes?

Re: Can I leave film in stop bath for 7 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Pere Casals View Post
    He says:

"You can transfer the film from a tank of dev to the fix tank by room light.
    The few seconds exposure as you pull the film out of the developer and drop it into the fixer tank will not cause detectable fogging, because the induction period of the second development is longer than the time available"
    Be that as it may, I have found that particularly x-ray film will fog severely if the light is turned on before it is entirely fixed. While Roger's advice may be sound for regular films, I wouldn't gamble with it.

Re: Can I leave film in stop bath for 7 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by LabRat View Post
    I don't exactly know the fact or science of this, but when clearing a lot of old film in fix while in roomlight, one thing I have observed is that film cleared in the dark tends to clear a little faster and clearer (without the slight pink cast, that is from a trace of finely divided silver left on the material), and even with the accepted practice of turning the lights on halfway through the fixing stage, it seems to clear better/faster in the dark, so it seems that exposed free silver is a little harder/more stubborn to fully clear in my rapid fix IMHO...

Steve K

I'll test that... it is an interesting point. Of course exposed grains (+ charged) have a selective chemical tendence to go metallic with developers, so a weak fixer may take more time. I guess that it may depend on the type of fixer...

Perhaps even having a base+fog of 0.11D is the same than 0.10D to obtain the same print, anyway it is very easy to test if additional fog is added, I'll do it... as I develop 8x10 in tray (paper safe) it is very convenient to open lights ASAP.

I guess that best test is to take an unexposed film end, fixing half in darkness and the other half lights open, and then measuring both with a precission densitometer.