Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Devices for developing 4x5 with little chemistry???

Re: Devices for developing 4x5 with little chemistry???

I've been using BTZS tubes (the old grey ones) for almost 20 years for both 4x5 and 8x10. Only 60ml of solution is required for 4x5 and 250ml for 8x10. The other nice thing is I can develop for different times, dilutions, or six different films, all at the same time, if I ever feel that ambitious!

But does rotary with low volume chems produce a better neg?

Nobody defends cost savings with low volume, do they?

Washing is the water consumer for all methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    I've been using BTZS tubes (the old grey ones) for almost 20 years for both 4x5 and 8x10. Only 60ml of solution is required for 4x5 and 250ml for 8x10. The other nice thing is I can develop for different times, dilutions, or six different films, all at the same time, if I ever feel that ambitious!
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by macandal View Post
    So, this is model 2521/2523 (why two numbers?) for six sheets of 4x5. Is there one for 12 sheets?
    Yes, the 2551/2553 drum will do 12 sheets using 540ml of chemistry.
    This is the largest drum that can be used on the CPE-2 processor.

There are two types of drive couplers, identified by the last digit of the model number
    1 = magnet coupler
    3 = cog lid

Cog drive is used with the lift, Magnet drive is used without the lift.
    I don't like the lift (personal opinion YMMV).

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

After using a number of devices to process my 4x5 sheets, I've come to the conclusion that the best processing device is that which allows me to process film using the least amount of chemistry. At present, I am using one of those nikor tanks that is capable of handling 12 sheets at a time. I like it, the downside is that it uses one liter of chemistry to do 12 or fewer sheets. What I'm looking for is some kind of device that comes in two sizes, one for small batches (6 sheets or fewer) and one for larger batches (over 6 sheets) that uses the least amount of chemistry. Does such a thing exists or is this just wishful thinking?

Thanks.
    Hi Mario, for a small batch of 4x5 sheets you can try a Paterson Tank loaded with a MOD54, it needs 500 mL of liquid for 6 sheets or less,
    check the link,
    http://mod54.com/collections/mod54-p...on-3-reel-tank

Bye,

Jacopo

Quote Originally Posted by Jacopo View Post
    Hi Mario, for a small batch of 4x5 sheets you can try a Paterson Tank loaded with a MOD54, it needs 500 mL of liquid for 6 sheets or less,
    check the link,
    http://mod54.com/collections/mod54-p...on-3-reel-tank

Bye,

Jacopo
    Jacopo, my MOD54 ask for one liter (1000ml) of developing solution. Even a bit lower volume will not fully cover the sheets. I`m not aware of any change on this.
    BTW, my best, low volume processing system is a small tray. I know sometimes is really hard to have a "truly dark" darkroom... anyway, if you want to work aside under white light, place the tray inside a light tight box (like those plastic ones for paper storage/dispenser). I also use a JOBO processor, but sometimes (or most of the times) I tend to avoid it. I prefer the compensating character of low agitation processing.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    Yes, the 2551/2553 drum will do 12 sheets using 540ml of chemistry.
    This is the largest drum that can be used on the CPE-2 processor.

There are two types of drive couplers, identified by the last digit of the model number
    1 = magnet coupler
    3 = cog lid

Cog drive is used with the lift, Magnet drive is used without the lift.
    I don't like the lift (personal opinion YMMV).

- Leigh
    Agree with Leight; I have two complaints with lifts and CPE2 processors:
    !. The lift looks really flimsy and
    2. Fully loaded, the motor seem to run near its limit. If the processing extends just a bit, it will show weakness.

I did not cut my Orbital fins and usually use 200ml of chemistry! not a problem with several developers, color included! Why are people cutting fins? scratches? marks?

Cheers!

After using a number of devices to process my 4x5 sheets, I've come to the conclusion that the best processing device is that which allows me to process film using the least amount of chemistry.
    Interesting conclusion. But if that's what you want, Jobo is for you. Get a processor that can handle the expert tanks. The 3010 tank handles 10 sheets. I've put thousands of sheets through mine, using the minimum chemistry recommended by Kodak (XTOL stock of 250ml for 10 sheets of 5x4 film, diluted 3:1 for 1 liter working strength developer, or diluted 1:1 for half a liter of working strength developer). Using less XTOL stock than this risks developer exhaustion which can leave interesting visual artifacts in your images. I highly recommend you follow the KODAK guidelines for minimum stock developer / 80 sq in of film.

There is a smaller expert tank for fewer sheets (6? IDK) but there's really no advantage in getting the smaller tank if you have the 3010. Just load it with fewer sheets. It works just fine with a single sheet loaded (but you do have to use sufficient volume of chemistry to cover the sheet, Jobo's documentation shows the minimum volume to cover).

Bruce Watson

I can safely process 16-18 sheets of 4X5 at a time in 8X10 trays, but I do use about 1500ml of developer (usually highly diluted "Rodinal"). If I am doing 6-8 sheets I usually use 5X7 trays. Been doing it that way for 30+ years. As long as my finger tips don't rot off I guess I'll just stick with what I know.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg

Chemistry costs less than film, paper, equipment, time, food, lodging, travel, etc.

A more frugal approach than Large Format might be to shoot with a phone and upload to the web