Quote Originally Posted by pkr1979 View Post
I have considered but not yet tried wet mounting directly on the scanner bed... I worry about leaks and damaging the scanner. I might give it ago though. Alan9940, do you do any adjustments on the scanner to make sure its sealed... or anything similar... or do you just fill up the scanner bed with fluid... so to speak?
Peter
Peter,

Definitely DO NOT simply fill the scanner bed with fluid! You will have leaking into the scanner hardware under the glass. Since an 8x10 negative fills so much area of the bed glass, what I do is tape around the bed glass with drum mounting tape to ensure a tight seal along the edges. Then, I use only enough mounting fluid to cover the film area; practice will show you how much fluid, but it's less than you think. If you use Kami fluid, then there is no need to clean the negative after the scan; you simply remove it from the bed glass and whatever remaining fluid will evaporate very quickly.

So, to sum up the steps here is my procedure:

1. Clean negative as required. Generally, this requires only a wipe with an anti-static brush and a quick once-over with something like Dust Off. If necessary, I use PEC cleaning fluid but this is rare.

2. Dispense the correct amount of scanner fluid on to the bed glass (remember, you've got it all taped up, right?)

3. Lay negative down into the fluid. I bow it slightly and start at one end to help eliminate trapped air.

4. Dispense the correct amount of scanner fluid on to the negative.

5. Lay a sheet of Graphics Arts Film (crystal clear mylar) on to the negative using the same technique as with the negative.

6. Use a scanner wipe, swiping across the mylar, to remove air bells, ensure full coverage of fluid over the entire negative surface, and to remove excess fluid as it seeps out from under this "sandwich."

7. Scan away and enjoy no Newton Rings, minimized look of grain, and, typically, sharper scans.

I have always bought all my scanner supplies from aztek.com.

Have fun!