Thread: Mounting Tessar 165mm f/2.7 on Speed Graphic

Mounting Tessar 165mm f/2.7 on Speed Graphic

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, be kind!

I am looking to mount a tessar 165mm f/2.7 on my speed graphic. I have read that the lens isn't compatible with this model as the rear end of the camera collides with the camera. I have however seen a very clever way round this, making a thicker lens board which then prevents any contact... (see link)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefankonath/29144479974/

So my question.. do you know of anyone who is able to make such a lens board for me? Or, does anyone know of any other way I can mount this lens?

Alternatively, I could buy an Anniversary Speed Graphic. From what I've read, this camera is compatible with the tessar. If anyone has one and is willing to sell it, let me know!

Thank you.

Hi everyone! This is my first post on the forum, be kind!

I am looking to mount a tessar 165mm f/2.7 on my speed graphic. I have read that the lens isn't compatible with this model as the rear end of the camera collides with the camera. I have however seen a very clever way round this, making a thicker lens board which then prevents any contact... (see link)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stefankonath/29144479974/

So my question.. do you know of anyone who is able to make such a lens board for me? Or, does anyone know of any other way I can mount this lens?

Alternatively, I could buy an Anniversary Speed Graphic. From what I've read, this camera is compatible with the tessar. If anyone has one and is willing to sell it, let me know!
    Last edited by Ralph Barker; 17-Oct-2016 at 06:30.

Re: Mounting Tessar 165mm f/2.7 on Speed Graphic

A large fast lens similar to the 165mm f/2.7 Tessar is the Aero-Ektar, which has been mounted on many Speed Graphics. One solution to the mounting problems is described here: https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/aero/. Perhaps Jo Lommen could do something like this for your camera and lens. Such work won't be cheap. Buying an Anniversary model SG may be more cost effective.

Alternatively, if you have 2 Speed Graphic lens boards you could make a lensboard for you lens yourself. Put a spacer between the 2 lens boards and there you go.

btw, don't cross-post to more than one forum. bad form.

That said, making a top-hat board like this for the pacemaker speed graphic is not too hard. I've even made recessed ones.

Apologies for cross-posting, won't happen again.

The top-hat board idea is interesting, as is the easier option of just buying an anniversary speed graphic. Thanks for the advice everyone!

Anniversary vs. Pacemaker would be a downgrade, IMHO. Easier to build the lensboard.