Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternatives)

Re: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternativ

Remember, my quick alternative is only made as a back-up if the standard copal sinar cable is misplaced. With a short length, you stand by the front standard and use the free arm to act as a brace. The standard cable release (By design!) resists coiling and is a b....r to transport.

Re: Sinar Copal Shutter Cable Release Alternatives (and self cocking cable alternativ

Dear Large Format Community,

I'm not typically very active in forums, but this discussion, among others, inspired me back then to pragmatically develop a cable release for the Sinar DB Copal Shutter on my own. Perhaps my do-it-yourself guide for constructing a Sinar cable release may serve as a helpful guide for those seeking assistance in the future.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG012-2-1000x655.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	27.0 KB 
ID:	245683 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG011-2-1000x655.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	245684
    https://jakob-tiebel.com/wp-content/...quenz-01_1.mp4

If there are any questions about the development or if support is needed for the DIY construction, I am more than willing to help here in the forum or via email. I've subscribed to this discussion, so I'll be notified if anything new comes up.

Additionally, I'm currently working on a DIY solution for a variable-length connection between the DB shutter and the film standard. I'm open to ideas and suggestions in this regard, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
    Jakob Tiebel

Old thread, I know, but I'm looking for a more reliable cable release than my original Sinar.
    It's grown rather cranky and only fires at a certain angle and distance.
    This stubby one from China looks like it would work, despite having to potentially push against the frame. I don't know if I can squeeze down enough by holding the flared bit below, so gently pressing seems required.
    Anyone using one of these?
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/12506127660...MakeTrack=true.

Thanks,
    Darryl

I don't see how you could use one of those and not jostle the camera. It might be better to spend a bit more lunch money on the Silvestri Camera replacement. It sounds promising but I haven't pulled the trigger yet myself.

This one works perfectly:

Silvestri Cable release 70 cm long, specifically designed to trigger Sinar manual shutters. It has a long throw ( 5 centimeters) and the screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.
    (Alternative to Sinar product code 521-61 old x1202). Made in EU.
    code CR4870

I have both. I worry about the stubby one jostling the camera, too, though I'm careful and haven't seen evidence of a problem. The Silvestri works well except the tip does not rotate independently like the Sinar. You have to twist the entire cable release to screw it into the camera. Again, its just something to be careful with.

"I believe there is nothing more disturbing than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept!" (Ansel Adams)

https://philippe.grunchec-photographe.over-blog.com/

The Modern Black Sinar Shutter Release also fits the Olde Norma Shutters. I have one and it is much smoother to operate than the Norma ones. George Brown recommended I get one, an excellent suggestion. Sinar Norma made a Bulb Release for the Norma Shutter, it's in the catalog, I have never seen one anywhere. I've also never seen a long cable for Shutter to Rear Standard, I think they offered a connector to put two of the cables together.

My repairmen tell me you can trip the Norma Shutter with a jewelers screwdriver.
    Flikr Photos Here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/18134483@N04/

“The secret of getting ahead is getting started.”
    ― Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Unkefer View Post
    The Modern Black Sinar Shutter Release also fits the Olde Norma Shutters. I have one and it is much smoother to operate than the Norma ones. George Brown recommended I get one, an excellent suggestion. Sinar Norma made a Bulb Release for the Norma Shutter, it's in the catalog, I have never seen one anywhere. I've also never seen a long cable for Shutter to Rear Standard, I think they offered a connector to put two of the cables together.

My repairmen tell me you can trip the Norma Shutter with a jewelers screwdriver.
    I always found a bamboo skewer works perfectly and seems pretty safe since wood is softer than metal.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Hudson View Post
    This one works perfectly:

Silvestri Cable release 70 cm long, specifically designed to trigger Sinar manual shutters. It has a long throw ( 5 centimeters) and the screw end that screws into the shutter is not conical like normal shutter releases.
    (Alternative to Sinar product code 521-61 old x1202). Made in EU.
    code CR4870
    Thanks for confirming! I was on the fence about ordering one without finding any reviews.