Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: View Camera Magazine, a call for peace

Jim Ewins

View Camera Magazine, a call for peace

In a free society, one votes with his wallet. The content is there and so is my subscription.

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The visual content is excellent, the intellectual direction is what I want, the reproduction quality is exceptional, and the paper stock and binding are superior to any other magazine I receive, (well, Lenswork is great too). As long as these qualities are maintained, I can live with the occasional typo. If VC disappeared, we'd be the poorer for it.

Thank you, Steve.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Octogenarian

Thank you Michael. It's about time we all begin to realize, as Charles Farmer used to say, "We're all in the same boat". If we fail to help one another, we're going to see our favorite films, papers, and equipment disappear sooner than we realize. Steve Simmons and View Camera magazine have performed an outstanding service by helping to encourage and perpetuate our first love, large format photography.

Count me in. I mean ... I'm down wi dat.

I see nothing of value for me in VC so I dont subscribe, I dont see the point on paying more than retail price for a subscription to Mexico for a magazine that is not well edited, compared to the other magazines I susbcribe to, like Lenswork. So as it was posted above I choose to vote with my pocket, and could not care less if VC disappears all together.

I've never understood the contentiousness surrounding VC magazine. As far as equipment reviews, read a digital photo magazine if you want to see what puff pieces are really like. Editing - I much prefer a writer that communicates ideas in his/her own voice, even when it might not be perfect english. Frequent attempts to promote the magazine & store - whatever it take to keep the magazine afloat. Questionable taste as to portfolios - its only questionable when its not mine ;-) or my favorite photographers. The art world is filled with questionable works that make Steve's choices look reasonable. VC remains in my top 4 choices for photo mags (Lenswork, B&W Enthusiast and B&W Photo being the others).
    van Huyck Photography
    "Searching for the moral justification for selfishness" JK Galbraith

Gee, I thought everyone was showing restraint - until the subject was brought up again. ;-)

Mexico, or New Mexico?

Either way this posting just reminded me to renew. Look folks, it ain't easy. If it were, anyone and everyone would be publishing. If you look at the New York Times' first city edition every evening it's full of mistakes and the jumps don't match. That doesn't make it useless. It's life.

I remember about a month ago Steve posted a request as to what we'd like to see in the magazine and he repsonded. Future issues will have what we want and I'm willing to pay for it.

The call for peace is a good idea......"Be still, bet quiet, be at peace". Take a breath.
    "I meant what I said, not what you heard"--Jflavell

MEXICO.....

Yes, it is not easy, but others manage to do it without excuses.....

"I remember about a month ago Steve posted a request as to what we'd like
    to see in the magazine and he repsonded. Future issues will have what we
    want and I'm willing to pay for it. "

He's done so a couple of times over the last year or so. However, I don't recall seeing that many of the very excellent suggestions acted upon?
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog