Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lens set for 8x10?

Lens set for 8x10?

Curious what people use for 810 work here. I've moved to landscape work from studio still life, which was all done near to 1:1 with a 240, and am finding that way too wide when outside. Loving the nikkor 450 and 600. What are your regular landscape lenses on 8x10? Examples from your lens set encouraged!

Re: Lens set for 8x10?

I can suggest one, the Caltar 375mm (14 3/4") for its sharpness even wide open.
    FWIW I use wider for 8x10, but the 375mm lives in the realm of sharpness, when it is necessary.

My only woe is the #5 shutter; both of my #5 shutters have issues, namely a lame leaf which I cope with by placing it where gravity makes it work. Big shutters are a big pain in the ass.

(I got this lens from our esteemed Jim Galli, our expert in other-than-sharp. If he contributes
    to this thread, read it!)

My usual is a FujiW 300. I suppose slightly on the wide side of normal. I just got a FujiW 360 that I yet to try, but hope to later this month.

A FujiW 250/6.7 recently was added to my 8x10 pack. I am enjoying it -- my 'landscape' tends to under the redwoods, where shorter lenses work nicely since everything tends to be up close. I have a 210mm (Graphic Raptor) which is also nice under the redwoods -- it has no shutter, but that is no problem under the redwoods...but it tends to stay at home now that I have the 250mm.

On the longer side I have both 19" (480mm) and 24" (610mm) RD Artars (no shutters). The 19" is fine under the redwoods, but I rarely see good images there for the 24". Both of these are also nice on the 11x14. I would use them more on the 8x10 if they were in shutters, the lack of shutters make those lenses hard to use in the open air. The FujiW 360 I got with the idea of using it with the 11x14 -- the only lens I have for that camera with a shutter.

All with the 300mm:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1RedwoodBullCrFlat.jpg   3b3sC.jpg   LostManCreek.jpg  
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I keep it very simple. Since the 1970s, I have always liked to hike up gorges and shoot waterfalls. Have limited myself to 3 focal lengths.

120mm WA Nikkor - least used lens but when I need an ultra wide lens, I take this optic with me

12" f/4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat or a 305mm f/9 G-Claron - images from each of these 2 optics quite different.12" Velostigmat my favorite and most used lens. In the winter though, especially with ice or snow in bright sunlight, I use the G-Claron to cut down on flare.

508mm f/7 Caltar - a dream to focus with, looks more like a f/5.6 optic on the GG

Attached image of Glendale Falls in MA. Shot with 12" Velostigmat, negative scanned, digital negative made, and final Platinum Palladium print. Final print size 1:1 with image on negative.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Glendale Falls.jpg  

My main lens is a 12" f6.8 Dagor, made around 1940 the original owner had it coated after WWII, it's a great lens superb results. I supplemented that with a 165mm f8 Super Angulong which came with my 2nd Agfa ansco 10x8. More recently I've added a 240mm Nikkor W which I use more for 7x5, but made an dapter board so I can use it with My 10x8 Agfa ansco cameras.

If needed I have some smaller WA lenses as the uper Angulon is huge, a pair of 159mm F12 Wollensak Ex WA lens and tine 141mm f16 Ross (Protar) WA. I also have a150mm f9 Hexanon GRII that covers 10x8.

Essentially those lenses mirror what I've used for 30 yeras for 5x4 although I;ve started using longer lenses and maybe will do the same with my 10x8's.

Ian

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

240mm Schneider Symmar-S (Salt Print):

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...3502_large.jpg

300mm Nikkon-W (Scanned Kallitype):

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...3044_large.jpg

360mm Schneider Symmar-S )Salt Print):

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...0157_large.jpg

480mm Apo Ronar (Scanned Kallitype):

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...5920_large.jpg

610mm Apo Nikkor (Salt Print):

http://spiritsofsilver.com/yahoo_sit...5846_large.jpg

Thomas

Oh my word. Better than I could have hoped for. Thank you.

Lots to investigate already. But please keep it coming.

Those images sure make a case for the 300. Not always wide, not only normal. I've got a 300 Symmar, it is a giant, and so I rarely reach for it when packing the bag. Is 240/360/450/600 a useful batch? Far enough apart? I'm a fan of 28/35/50 in 35mm, but seem to like a bit more reach with the 810.

Any of you shoot 35 too?

I like how you seem to compress space with most of those lenses Thomas.

Maybe I need to think of lenses for 810 by the height of the 35 frame instead of the width...