Page 20 of 24 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Re: The New Marketplace Rules are Too Restrictive

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thanks for crediting me with good motives. You're mistaken. I offer gear for sale when I think that selling it will be good for me. I understand that buyers buy when buying will improve their situations, but I don't offer for items for sale out of concern for buyers welfare. I'm entirely selfish.

If you seriously think that the for sale forum is intended for exchange of information, you're unhinged. The for sale forum provides a venue for people who want to move equipment. The other forums are for serious discussions about equipment and technique.
    You might be selfishly thinking of yourself only when selling equipment, the buyer thinks of his own needs and all are happy. The world doesn't turn around you only. As for the the exchange of information - I was reading the FS section mostly if not only for that and learnt so about equipment I didn't know. As I said - it's where the flow is, not on the other side of the village that FS items should be freely commented.
    As for being unhinged - do you need to insult when you lack arguments?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Thanks for crediting me with good motives. You're mistaken. I offer gear for sale when I think that selling it will be good for me. I understand that buyers buy when buying will improve their situations, but I don't offer for items for sale out of concern for buyers welfare. I'm entirely selfish.
    Although perhaps true, this is probably one of the most stubborn and pigheaded responses I've ever read on this forum about buying and selling things (just to make a point, SHM on this). If you were to truely follow your selfish logic to its end, your final motivation for moving your unused, undesired gear would be to destroy it so no one but yourself would benefit from what you've owned.

Very Respectfully,
    Dave

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

What has happened to this place...

Can we refrain from our own personal motivations and our opinions about those and return to the original PROBLEM of over-moderation?

'

I find the new rules for the FS section fine. I am a little disappointed at the number of replies to this thread in comparison to the rest of the sub-forums I subscribe to here.

As a reminder to all involved, you can add people to your ignore list and never see any of their posts again. When looking at a post, click on their username on the left to go to their profile page. On that page on the left side there is an option to add them to your ignore list.

-Darren

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    What has happened to this place...
    Over-moderation / cronyism is what happened to this place. It slowly becomes an "us vs. them" mentality. Mods vs. plebs.

Mark my words, you'll see more rules, bans, lock-downs of site features, deleting of posts etc. Users will leave, usually the most helpful ones first, and then the unhelpful ones quit angrily or are banned.

Eventually all that's left is a small group of mods and sycophants in an echo chamber.

I moderate a few other forums (mostly automotive related), and have been a moderator on websites and chatrooms going back to the mid 1990s.

Seen it before, will see it again. Internet communities thrive when run democratically - i.e. with actual voting, not just "input" then the mods decide. Autocracy destroys online communities slowly, like a cavity eating a tooth.
    -Adam

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

... And more. We're seeing more canibalism than I ever remember: members eating other members. Makes some of the old flame wars seem rather mild in hindsight.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... And more. We're seeing more canibalism than I ever remember: members eating other members. Makes some of the old flame wars seem rather mild in hindsight.
    Really? Not even close IMHO.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    Dan Fromm is honest, clear-headed, a good Capitalist.

His arrogance and aggressive posture is a bit disappointing. So...
    Clear and firm, that's the ticket. Would you prefer weasel words?

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Over-moderation / cronyism is what happened to this place.
    Eventually all that's left is a small group of mods and sycophants in an echo chamber.

I moderate a few other forums (mostly automotive related), and have been a moderator on websites and chatrooms going back to the mid 1990s.

Seen it before, will see it again. Internet communities thrive when run democratically - i.e. with actual voting, not just "input" then the mods decide. Autocracy destroys online communities slowly, like a cavity eating a tooth.
    I too function as a moderator, as previously mentioned.

And I totally agree with your assessment and prediction.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.