Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail to Meigs Falls

Trail to Meigs Falls

Can anyone tell me how to get to the bottom of Meigs falls in the Smoky Mountains? The waterfall is visible from the road yet I have seen people at the base of the falls. There are also many images taken from the base.

-Bruce

Trail to Meigs Falls

where is steve hamley when you need him?

if you don't get an answer on this thread, try posting over here: http://forums.naturephotographers.net/6/ubb.x?a=frm&s=8306088241&f=1826080172

Trail to Meigs Falls

Bruce and Scott,

"where is steve hamley when you need him?"

Why, asleep of course after almost a hard week of bureaucracy!

There's a trail that starts at the Sinks and goes towards the falls, called the Meig's Creek trail. At 1.75 miles, there's a spur that takes you down to the falls. There are quite a few crossings of Meig's creek, so it's best to avoid it during periods of heavy rain. This is according to "Hiking Trails of the Smokies", the current trail guide, and is also mentioned in the earlier "Hiker's Guide to the Smokies", a Sierra Club book.

You really need to hike this trail if you want a clean shot of the falls because there's a dead beetle-munched pine tree in the foreground right now as I'm sure you know.

Steve

Trail to Meigs Falls

Hey Bruce,

Since you seem to be going there, how about taking a chainsaw and cutting that darned dead pine across the foreground stream and throwing the pieces out of view? :^D

Steve

Trail to Meigs Falls

As long as we're taking requests, please take your chainsaw after you take care of Hamley's tree and go up the Big Creek trail. There is a nasty fallen tree in the river, right at the most scenic bend on the creek. I'll be glad to pay you $20 once this task is accomplished!

Trail to Meigs Falls

I have always just parked at the road, crossed the creek and walked to it. I always put my stuff in a big plastic garbage bag to cross the creek just in case. Definitly not something to do in high water or freezing temps but normally not too bad. (and as of right now the high water obstacle would apply. It's rained all week!!) Have fun.

Trail to Meigs Falls

steve and matthew, there's none more knowledgable on the area! thanks for not makin' a liar out of me fellas... you guys never dissapoint.

Trail to Meigs Falls

Scott,

Nodda problem man! As Dan points out. you can ford the river. Trout fisherman do it all the time. However, I know trout fisherman that avoid such stuff because the rocks are slick and the danger is relatively high except in times of low water.

I'd never recommend anyone ford the Little River with large format gear, which is about 35 pounds more than trout gear. although it obviously can be done (I've done it). It's dangerous to you and your gear, and you need to think about abandoning everything in the pack to save your life. Make the decision BEFORE you ford.

Oh yes, and if you even think about the decision, 1.75 miles to the spur looks good.

Steve

Trail to Meigs Falls

Call me a lightweight......crossing the river with a ULF camera in tow would be insane. Bad enough to hump all that gear back to the falls on the trail. Time for the Wheaties!!!! I will opt for the trail. The maps give the impression that there is no trail from the Sinks area yet I figured there must be one. Is there anyway to get lost???? Not that I would stray off of the trail. I just wonder how much one must "bushwack" to get to the actual base of the falls. Anyone hiked the trail recently? I would LOVE to clear the debris from the base....All that clutter is a pain to deal with. Maybe if I am lucky the water will not be too high a month from now when i am there. Thanks to Steve and all.

BTW...if I even started clearing 1/10th of the natural clutter in the Smokies there would be no time to photograph.

Trail to Meigs Falls

Here is a sure-fire way to prevent getting lost: Take along a deck of cards, and if you get disoriented, sit down and start playing Solitaire. In no time, someone will come along and try to kibbitz your game. Simply follow them out...

Another more technologically driven solution is a GPS receiver. Several years ago when I began doing HABS recordation of buildings, I added a UTM coordinate section to the log sheet so that the exact position of the camera for every shot could be mapped as part of the documentation, and that later generations of preservation photographers could set the shots back up again to show change over time from the same perspectives. It is also very helpful when having to re-shoot a particular exposure.

I now do the same thing for all my locations. A handheld works fine for "on the spot" readings, and I have GPS tied to the laptop in the car most of the time I am on local road trips for general locations. This is good for marking a spot that you want to return to later when you don't have your equipment with you.