Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Subjective film advice

Re: Subjective film advice

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    Based on this, how likely am I to like:

Delta
    TMX
    Fuji

It depends on how you evaluate and prioritize these less subjective, more objective criteria:

Availability
    Affordability
    Linearity of spectral response curve
    Reciprocity characteristics
    In a given developer,
    Effective film speed
    Grain, acutance, impression of sharpness
    Linearity of contrast curve
    Changes to above curve with changes in development
    The first two are not a concern, and the others I don't understand. Essentially I guess I am asking if you like (or dislike) Shanghai or TXP, what are the other films in your experience that have similar characteristics that make you like (or dislike) them. Dislike is a valid comparator, if you dislike for the same reason (its like when you know a movie critic so well that if he dislikes a film, you can be pretty sure you will like it).

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    I work with a lot of different films because they are in fact different in numerous ways. And this can be format related. For example, 8x10 is nice because the modest degree of enlargement means I can sacrifice grain size for the sake of other characteristics like curve linearity or speed - and speed is important for the
    windy conditions common around here, combined with the smaller f-stops typical of 8x10 work. With 4x5 I have to be more nitpicky on the sharpness or acutance and grain question, so often use lower speed films, and with roll film backs, even more picky, though roll film has the advantage of being much cheaper than sheet film in general. Color film raises a very different set of questions, like which bank to rob next in order to keep shooting it in 8x10. But in terms of favorite b&w films, I rely quite a bit upon TMY400 in 8x10, with any number of other films as backups, depending on the conditions; FP4, ACROS, or TMY in 4x5; and ACROS in roll film, esp in the mtns, and sometimes Pan F in low contrast situations. For 35mm I change my strategy completely, and actually
    prefer grainy little handheld snapshot prints without excessive detail, generally taken with either Delta 3200 or TMY400. Then there are the lab films for masking
    and color separation work, using both TMX100 and FP4, along with ortho litho film.
    Thanks Drew. This is very helpful, as you group the films I wanted to try with FP4, suggesting they have similarities. The other replies are helpful too, as nobody grouped TXP with anything else, suggesting if I want that look, that is my option.

Thanks Bruce as well for your comments. Based on this I think I will not buy boxes of other film to try, although at some point I might try to trade a couple sheets of TXP to people using Delta or T-Max so I can do a superficial portrait/landscape comparison. If I see something startling there, I might spring for a box, but otherwise will stick with TXP.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    I use one film FP4+ KISS. For 25 years I only used TXP 320-loved the tonalities but as I started printing bigger for galleries I didn't like the grain. It took me a while to get the tonalities I wanted but I can make FP4+ work for me now and.......it's relatively cheap
    Yep. Plus-X is missed. But FP4+ ain't bad.

Just curious (don't hurt me please), but have you tried TMX or TMY-2? The tonalities are different, but to my eyes the Tmax films are "more real" somehow. And they've got much better reciprocity effect characteristics. Not to mention less graininess than even FP4+.

Bruce Watson

For me it depends on the subject. For unexplainable reasons I started a series of commissioned portraits on 8x10 Tri-X, then continued using it over a 3 year period. I loved the portrait results with that film. For landscapes and outdoor subjects I love the look of T-Max 400 (TMY) but I don't like the cost. Besides that, I've been happy with HP5+ for a long time and have run through several boxes of it. Both of these being with 8x10.

Drew Wiley

Back in the heyday of the Great Yellow Father, Plus-X was their "all-toe" film marketed to high-key controlled-lighting studio use, such as Caucasian brides in white wedding dresses, and consequently a rather poor choice for high contrast outdoor light. Super-XX was the race horse, a straight line film capable of an extreme range of lighting and development control, along with technical applications like color separation work. Tri-X was the journalistic favorite with characteristics in between, being relatively forgiving. Then came the T-grain revolution. Current T-Max films offer a great deal of contrast ability with a lot of potential snap in the shadows, plus development flexibility, but are fussy with exposure. The closest thing out there to Plus-X is Delta 100, which does have a fair amount of curve upsweep favoring the high tones, at the cost of deep shadow separation. FP-4 has a long straight line, but not as long as T-Max films. Acros is similar, but with different spectral sensitivity and slightly finer grain. HP5 has a fair amount of toe but fast speed and superb edge effect in staining pyro developers; but I find the grain too large for formats smaller than 8x10, and often have to mask it to get full tonality. I won't repeat much of what I've often
    stated before, but simply reducing or diluting development to handle significant contrast is not the same thing as having your cake and eating it too in terms of
    preserving gradation and tonality throughout the full range. That can only be done by judicious film and developer choice.

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

Can I ask why you have Fomapan 100 and Shanghai GP3 at (almost) opposite ends of your scale? GP3 is my favourite film, and I've been heartbroken since it's been out of production for two years (good news, it's coming back!). I've found, through my experimentation, that Fomapan 100 and GP3 are at least somewhat comparable.

I don't use a lot of TMX so I can't comment on them. I use Delta and Acros, and like them both. Acros I love for its reciprocity handling, but it's a different beast from Shanghai; it's more clinical, more scientific almost. Delta is less of that, but still more so than FP4 or Shanghai.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Watson View Post
    Yep. Plus-X is missed. But FP4+ ain't bad.

Just curious (don't hurt me please), but have you tried TMX or TMY-2? The tonalities are different, but to my eyes the Tmax films are "more real" somehow. And they've got much better reciprocity effect characteristics. Not to mention less graininess than even FP4+.
    I have not tried the T-Max, and I don't think I will try the 400, just because it is so expensive. The 100 is actually cheaper than the TXP, and I'm happy to give it a try, but at this point don't want to buy a box of it. If anyone want to trade a few sheets for a few sheets of TXP, I'm up for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Harding View Post
    Can I ask why you have Fomapan 100 and Shanghai GP3 at (almost) opposite ends of your scale? GP3 is my favourite film, and I've been heartbroken since it's been out of production for two years (good news, it's coming back!). I've found, through my experimentation, that Fomapan 100 and GP3 are at least somewhat comparable.

I don't use a lot of TMX so I can't comment on them. I use Delta and Acros, and like them both. Acros I love for its reciprocity handling, but it's a different beast from Shanghai; it's more clinical, more scientific almost. Delta is less of that, but still more so than FP4 or Shanghai.
    I don't know. They seem quite different to me, but maybe that is my process (D-23). I'm very subjective with film and paper and lenses. I just like what I like, and I think to some degree I consciously avoid getting to technical. I have enough of that in my day job, and enjoy feeling my way along in photography. I started with Shanghai, and tuned my process to it, so maybe that's why I like it. If I spent enough time with another film I might like it just as much. But the TXP I only recently started shooting, and liked it from the first sheet. I don't know why.

I think you have to try more than a few sheets of tmy2 to get a feel for it. It is very responsive to changes in development, meaning it's going to take some practice just to get development just right for you. And of course different developers and agitation provide different results. It's a high quality film to say the least. If money isn't a big concern, work your way through a box. If it's an issue, perhaps find half a box or sell half a box.

To be subjective, I stick with FP4+ and tmy2. I've got them figured out for me and my developer choice. I try not to setup my 4x5 or 8x10 camera to tinker and test materials, but rather to make photographs.

The part that's missing from the question is what developer will be used with these films... Different have films will have their character + "look", but this will be modified by different developers/exposure/time/dilutions etc... For film choices, speed, availability, quality control, price, etc will probably govern the films purchased, but even if there were only one film left in the world, you would have to find a way to use it to get results you like, and that would probably happen mostly in development...

Steve K