Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Prototype box camera

Prototype box camera

Hey everyone. I had some fun on Labour Day and put together a really basic box camera so I could use a 65mm angulon lens (I didn't want to find a super recessed mounting board for my bender 4x5, and this seemed like a fun project.) Wanted to keep things light and chipper, this has been a fun, silly project.

Here are some photos of it - I didn't do any math to figure out correct depth, so I keep shortening it to be able to focus further away. When I get to my cabin, I'll be able to do a proper shortening with my table saw. Good fun! I'll have to make a proper box at some point, break out my finger joint jig.

1st photo taken with it

Shortened the box, 2nd photo. Some light leaks from the midday sun, something to sort out in time

4th photo, more shortening since, at the limits of what I can do with my dull hand saw

Re: Prototype box camera

Fun project!
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

You don't need no steenkin' math unless you drink the hyperfocal focusing koolaid. You also don't need no steenkin' cut and try.

If the lens is a 65/8 SA, flange-to-film distance at infinity is 70.5 mm. If a 65/5.6, and I don't think it is, 71 mm.

You do need to be able to measure.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    You don't need no steenkin' math unless you drink the hyperfocal focusing koolaid. You also don't need no steenkin' cut and try.

If the lens is a 65/8 SA, flange-to-film distance at infinity is 70.5 mm. If a 65/5.6, and I don't think it is, 71 mm.

This isn't actually a fixed focal length, I can focus it back and forth with those screws on the side. Amusingly, I couldn't find the info you just posted so succinctly so cut and try it was. It's hard to find info on LF gear online. I think I learned more this way, and it's been fun.

Anyway thanks, I was planning on getting to around 65mm. It is a f8, so I'll get it to 70 once I get it to my table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post

This isn't actually a fixed focal length, I can focus it back and forth with those screws on the side, it's two boxes that fit together. :-) Amusingly, I couldn't find the info you just posted so succinctly so cut and try it was. It's hard to find info on LF gear online. I think I learned a bit this way, and it's been fun.

Anyway thanks, I was planning on getting to around 65mm. It is a f8, so I'll get it to 70 once I get it to my table saw.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    This isn't actually a fixed focal length, I can focus it back and forth with those screws on the side. Amusingly, I couldn't find the info you just posted so succinctly so cut and try it was. It's hard to find info on LF gear online. I think I learned more this way, and it's been fun.

Thanks Dan, this was incredibly helpful. My focusing screen is pretty terrible at the moment (need to grind some glass). I think I'm actually at the right amount of extension now, give or take a half inch. What's that saying, measure twice cut once? Or as I almost did, cut twice, throw it out?

The one place to go (he says modestly) for directions to information on LF lenses: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=file%2cdocx

The lens' focal length is fixed. I think you meant to say that your box isn't fixed focus. Some similar cameras are. See, e.g., http://www.apug.org/forum/index.php?.../#post-1828281

Next time try starting with a couple of "ACID" brand cigar boxes from Drew Estate. They are made from pretty thick mahogany with finger jounts that look great. The best part is that all markings ar applied with glued on labels. Nothing is carved into the wood.

I have at times pealed the labels and refinished the wood with Tung Oil varnish for a gift box.
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

Quote Originally Posted by bobbotron View Post
    Thanks Dan, this was incredibly helpful. My focusing screen is pretty terrible at the moment (need to grind some glass). I think I'm actually at the right amount of extension now, give or take a half inch. What's that saying, measure twice cut once? Or as I almost did, cut twice, throw it out?
    The saying is: If it's too short, nail another piece on. If it's too long, I don't know what the h*ll to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Bedo View Post
    Next time try starting with a couple of "ACID" brand cigar boxes from Drew Estate. They are made from pretty thick mahogany with finger jounts that look great. The best part is that all markings ar applied with glued on labels. Nothing is carved into the wood.
    I posted elsewhere on the forum my attempt with a cigar box camera, but I now feel my mistake was using a Grafloc back because of the added size and weight. I am looking for a smaller cigar box and will fashion a back similar to the type of back on the Travelwide.
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52893762/bigger4b.jpg