Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Night-Vision tools in the darkroom ?

Night-Vision tools in the darkroom ?

Can anyone recommend a brand or model of night vision goggles or monocular, to be used in the darkroom ? Affordability is a consideration.

I have read that this tool can allow you to do unencumbered development by inspection, and see all aspects of film loading, tray development, etc.

Please don't consider this as an opportunity for yet another "purist" discussion: it is a sincere question. Thanks !

I'm pretty sure all of the "affordable" NVGs will be Soviet surplus. Try www.cheaperthandirt.com for starters.

I recently wrote a short post at michaelandpaula.com in the Azo forum, Developing film section, called DBI - a Viable Improvement. Should contain all of the information you need. Let me know if you have any additional questions. I have been using this technique for quite some time.

Cheers!

Enhanced vision in the dark comes in at least a couple of flavors. One is light amplification (the so-called "starlight" rifle scopes and night vision products). Another is infrared, or "heat vision." If your darkroom is actually dark, as in no light to amplify, I think your best bet may be infrared.

As Alan said, the affordable stuff is Soviet surplus.

Bruce Watson

The night vision goggles are a great tool; I second the thread that Michael recommended above on the AZO forum; lots of good information there that helped me decide on a product.

Eric Woodbury

Thermal vision will be too expensive. 'Light amplification' or near IR are your choices. Remember, though, that for you to see it, it has to be visible and that light can leak out of goggles. Also, people have developed film for a long time without this technology. It's not that hard.
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

I have gone ahead and ordered a $ 219 "ATN Night Vision Goggles with Headgear", as mentioned by Sean Ross in Michael's excellent Azo Forum posting.

Correction: Jeremy Moore

I finally got the night vision monocular, and took it for a test drive. What a tremendous experience !

I haven't had this kind of photographic experience since I first saw a print develop in the tray, over 40 years ago.

I decided to become accustomed to the device by first mixing my chemicals in total darkness. No problem: except that some forms of paint are not very readable under IF light. I needed to mark one or two vessels with laundry marker so that they could be read.

I developed 6 sheet of 5x7 in 8x10 trays, and once they are dry, I am confident that there will be few scratches if any. After all, I could see each sheet while flipping. J&C Classic 400 is rather soft, and I have scratched some before, no matter how careful I was - so this will be a good test.

Next steps: 8x10, developing by inspection. DBI w/NVG

Glad that you are please with the experience.

One thing I would add to my previous comments on this subject. I have added an infrared LED bank of 40 small IR bulbs to the wall of my darkroom as supplimental illumination for those images that require N to the moon development and for which highlights are visually challenging to differentiate and qualify. I activate it when necessary with my old green filter safelight DBI foot switch. This may come in handy for you Ken when you are developing your alternative process negatives to a higher density range.

Cheers!