Thread: Making a "working table" for Studio Cameras

Making a "working table" for Studio Cameras

A question of recycling.

There are advantages (Cleaning, repair, display and even use) in having a small table which will securely hold a heavy studio camera. This gives easy access from every side.
    IKEA is, I am sure, able to provide a modern solution. However, we had a old dinning room table in store, no longer in use. This was from the early 1920's (wife' s grandparents setting up home) but very Victorian in expression.

In short, the width of the table has now become the length and the "length" has been shortened to around the same dimensions as the bipost Century stand. A couple of hours yesterday with a saw and glue-pot. The legs are attached with wooden threads, so it can be stored/Transported quite easily. The table top uses one of the extension pieces from the original table (Dutch extension?).
    Needs a filt cover still. I don't think the idea is suited for a more complex raise/drop and tilt conversion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg   image.jpeg  

Re: Making a "working table" for Studio Cameras

If it matches the average height of a sitting sitter for a portrait, you are good to go!!! :-) The camera rise/fall/shift can make up some differences... Maybe a wheeled dolly underneath with locking or raised wheels or bolts that can raise the dolly assy would make it easier to use and move... You can also change the sitter's height with an adjustable chair, so "if you can't raise the bridge, lower the river"... You will love this or hate it... But not bad for display!!!

Steve K

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

I built something similar for my 14x17 studio camera. It is built to fit my studio and if I need to raise it I'll have to figure that out. So far so good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC0358.jpg   _DSC0364.jpg  

Nice, Jim.
    I was thinking about castor wheels too.

I bought an older extremely sturdy portable projection table. It has 4 extendable legs that screw into the base and it's just the right size for a Century 9 or 10. For taking the Studio camera on "field" trips. But I've never used it once.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Fitzgerald View Post
    I built something similar for my 14x17 studio camera. It is built to fit my studio and if I need to raise it I'll have to figure that out. So far so good.
    That is very good looking, something I wish I had built. I saw something like the following at a carpenter's place. Google Wood Table Slide, to be used as legs, not expandable table-top slides. They look fine before being raised.

I'm toying around with something like these legs. I'm not much of a woodworker.

Sawhorses work, too....

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Thanks everyone. The wheels work so smoothly on my wood floors. It is so nice. I'm going to design something for the Century 8A and stand. I have some ideas. I have a great woodworking shop and I love to build quality stuff but still have a lot to learn. I have some ideas for an adjustable top for the 14x17 studio stand if I need it.