Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filters for 5x4 camera?

Re: Filters for 5x4 camera?

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Why, what does that pertain to?
    It was a Linhof branded lens with no indication of where it came from. Same with the lens on the Linhof 220.

Okay, well, uncommon lenses/cameras aside, almost every person I've talked to that said they have a "Linhof lens" had a Linhof badged lens. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us to the lenses in question, and we can confirm the filter sizes.

I misunderstood the part about infrared. Do you have a specific film in mind? My first foray into infrared, I bought the wrong filter (the cutoff wavelength was too high) for the film I was using. The film you use may make a difference in the filter you get.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Okay, well, uncommon lenses/cameras aside, almost every person I've talked to that said they have a "Linhof lens" had a Linhof badged lens. Perhaps the OP can enlighten us to the lenses in question, and we can confirm the filter sizes.

I misunderstood the part about infrared. Do you have a specific film in mind? My first foray into infrared, I bought the wrong filter (the cutoff wavelength was too high) for the film I was using. The film you use may make a difference in the filter you get.
    With infrared, I have had better luck balancing the exposure + tonality using a #25 or #29 red as this captures slightly more of "visual" range that can be metered, and the tonality is less bizarre and slightly more natural than some weird wavelength (and slightly more predictable)...

I ended up using Tech Pan, and a heavy red filter instead of infrared film, and I had an infrared-ish type of effect (mostly haze penetration), but better control over the outcome...

Steve K

The two filters that I have that I mention earlier are IR cutoff. One at 645nm and the other at 780nm. These are true IR filters for use with IR film. Optically they are virtually opaque.

Hey, turns from my research and your information that a Hoya R72 58mm filter is the best option, and iv also ordered a bay 50 to 58mm converter for my blad. Thanks for all you guys help, appreciate it!

Drew Wiley

Tech Pan is classified as "extended red sensitivity" instead of infrared. However, some of us did use it with infrared lights and a 29 filter for forensic purposes, like
    detecting underpainting on canvas, relative to art fraud. 29 is also a good choice for "near-infrared" films like the now-extinct Konica 750.