Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: LFPF censorship and moderation

8thsamurai

Re: LFPF censorship and moderation

Quote Originally Posted by Taija71A View Post
    As has already been so eloquently stated elsewhere:

"This is not the place for debating social change agendas."

Thank-you!
    It's cute that you think treating people as if they were actual people is a "social change agenda".

My apologies for lumping you in with the current moderators! I'm just still surprised that post #24 sealed the fate of the entire thread, rather than just that one post and responses to it being deleted. My point stands: the action may not have been meant to take a side, but it still accomplished the goals of one particular side of the discussion. Deleting posts from both sides wouldn't have done that.
    Naive. Oh yes it would. No one would agree with your choices. When I was a moderator I was willing to become the bad guy. It seemed someone had to be. For the first few years I carefully picked through all the posts deleting the bad ones. That made NO one happy either. It was endless bitching about which posts I deleted. "Why didn't you delete his post - why did you delete mine you fascist pig?. You must be taking his side".........endless whinny dribble puke. At one point I said to myself "who has time for this?". So I became the bad guy and then just started slashing and burning. No one liked that either but the level of pissed members wasn't any greater. After doing that awhile and getting some threats from members I quit. WHO needs this? Its a fricken volunteer job with NO upside. They should hand out razor blades to new moderators. Jeez.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Vancouver (Burnaby), BC, Canada & Hong Kong, HK

Quote Originally Posted by 8thsamurai View Post
    It's cute that you think treating people as if they were actual people is a "social change agenda".
    Or that preserving the status quo - ie, not treating people as if they were actual people - is something worth defending against evils of social change.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    Richard,

Those original words remained posted for a long time with no action from us. We didn't take action until the resulting discussion went down a certain path. Think about that.

Rick "respectfully submitted" Denney
    EXACTLY, so why aren't the offending comments deleted and leave the thread alone as it has been.

If you have a son or daughter, think about how it feels if they have a story to tell, and they are told not to.

In fact, go ahead, look them in their eyes, and tell them that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    When I was a moderator I was willing to become the bad guy. It seemed someone had to be. For the first few years I carefully picked through all the posts deleting the bad ones. That made NO one happy either. It was endless bitching about which posts I deleted. "Why didn't you delete his post - why did you delete mine you fascist pig?. You must be taking his side".........endless whinny dribble puke. At one point I said to myself "who has time for this?". So I became the bad guy and then just started slashing and burning. No one liked that either but the level of pissed members wasn't any greater. After doing that awhile and getting some threats from members I quit. Who needs this? Its a fricken volunteer job.
    Who needs a forum where rules are applied arbitrarily?

This has been the only forum I've posted on that forbade political discussion, by the way - it's a slippery slope. The other forums I post on somehow manage it just fine and apply evenly the rules about the quality of posting.

Quote Originally Posted by RHITMrB View Post
    I ask yet again, since the question still hasn't been answered: why did the fact that the discussion went down a certain path result in the closing of the thread, rather than in the deletion of specific posts, as in other threads that touched on politicized topics?
    Because that was the decision made at the time.

Everyone complains when the guidelines are too prescriptive, and then they complain when the mods use the latitude more general guidelines provide.

Rick "still listening" Denney

Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    EXACTLY, so why aren't the offending comments deleted and leave the thread alone as it has been.

If you have a son or daughter, think about how it feels if they have a story to tell, and they are told not to.

In fact, go ahead, look them in their eyes, and tell them that.
    There are a zillion places to tell any story that needs to be told. This forum doesn't have to be open to all of them.

I have many stories to tell that are just as important to me, but I don't tell them here.

Rick "who thought the photos eloquent on their own" Denney

This has been the only forum I've posted on that forbade political discussion, by the way - it's a slippery slope. The other forums I post on somehow manage it just fine and apply evenly the rules about the quality of posting.
    So. Is there the same members there? I suggest if you actually want to understand THIS forum go back some years before you joined and read up on the Flame wars.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    There are a zillion places to tell any story that needs to be told. This forum doesn't have to be open to all of them.

I have many stories to tell that are just as important to me, but I don't tell them here.

Rick "who thought the photos eloquent on their own" Denney
    It's telling which stories are and are not allowed to be told.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    So. Is there the same members there? I suggest if you actually want to understand THIS forum go back some years before you joined and read up on the Flame wars.
    I didn't say there aren't flame wars on those other forums - they're just handled differently.

Every forum I frequent bans political talk, and applies that ban with far less consideration and openness to comment than do we.

Rick "not that what other forums do applies here" Denney