Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aristo cold light transformer question

Aristo cold light transformer question

I have obtained two Aristo D-2 units, one standard, one D-2 Hi. Both with broken tubes. I wanted to upgrade the tube to V54 anyway, so--I bought the package for very little. In checking the transformers--(I didn't want to buy a tube unless the transformer worked!)-I found the "Hi" unit produced about 1850 V, and the secondary had a resistance of about 3,000 Ohms. The standard unit produced about 1850 V also, but secondary resistance was 600,000 Ohms. Neither unit has shorted secondary wiring. Supposedly, the new tube will work in either unit. My question--is one unit bad, and if so, which one? I am going to adapt the good one to a Omega D4 (incandescent) Chromega, whose light output is pretty dismal.
    Thanks

Re: Aristo cold light transformer question

I would suggest contacting the folks who bought out Aristo. L

I already did--they don't know. That information "disappeared" with Aristo. I was hoping someone here knew.
    Thanks

600k sounds really high for any transformer secondary...

Eric Woodbury

These are ballasts and not transformers; a small difference when you drop them on your toe, but for coldlights, significant. The one with 600K ohms is probably AC-coupled, meaning there is a capacitor in there tricking your meter from proper measurement. It would also stop any DC-current flow. My guess is that they are both fine and even if not, neither would damage a coldlight. The voltage starts high to ignite the gas and once 'lit', its impedance of the gas drops (negative resistance), and the ballast limits the AC-current and reduces the voltage.

Don't exceed the input voltage on your voltage meter or you'll be fixing that next. With high voltages, use a multi-megaohm resistor (several 10 mega ohm) divider and multiply the answer appropriately.

Oh, keep one hand in your pocket. The voltage won't kill you, but if DC, the landing will; if AC, you'll need a new pacemaker and clean chones.

{Post 1000 !}
    my picture blog
    ejwoodbury.blogspot.com

Have you actually been able to get in contact with the people making the new V54 tubes? I tried and couldn't get a response out of the company.

williaty--try this- http://www.light-sources.com/solutio...oducts/aristo/ I have spoken with Louise several times and ordered a tube yesterday.
    Eric Woodbury--thanks for the reply---my education continues!

I forgot to add--Eric---I used a Fluke high voltage probe for the measurement--thanks for the warning.

Just a follow up to those who were kind enough to answer my original question. The new V54 tube came, and it works on both units! I got an old school Lektra-8 timer that works, so I am now fabricating the adapter for my Omega D4, and I'll be good to go!
    Thanks All!

OK, so I finally completed my darkroom, adapted the Aristo to the Omega D4, and actually made some test prints. Used Ilford Multigrade Delux RC, Ilford filter set, Dektol developer. Printed a Kodak 1/2 stop step wedge, by contact, using a #0 filter. Got 6 stop range, about what I would expect for #2 paper. Tried a #3 filter and got about a 3 1/2 stop range. I actually printed a favorite negative that actually looks pretty OK. I have written to Louise Kessler for more info, but I am thinking I'll need a CC30Y filter in line as well. The light has plenty of power--my have to really stop down or add ND above lens. have any of you experienced extra contrast with the V54? Thanks