Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to use modern camera lenses on the Large Format cameras?

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Re: Is it possible to use modern camera lenses on the Large Format cameras?

"Is it possible to use modern camera lenses on the Large Format cameras?"

If it is a modern large format camera, then yes. However, using a modern lens on a vintage large format camera can cause conflicts and paradoxes in the space-time continuum. I tried it and my film came out as tintypes. Many photographers are currently using this to their advantage, as can be seen in the current revival of wet plate and other historic processes. But if you use a lens from the future on a camera from the past, they balance each other out, and you're back to conventional modern film. Something to do with tachyons and the flux-capacitor, I believe...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

If it is a modern large format camera, then yes. However, using a modern lens on a large format camera can cause conflicts and paradoxes in the space-time continuum. I tried it and my film came out as tintypes. Many photographers are currently using this to their advantage, as can be seen in the current revival of wet plate and other historic processes. But if you use a lens from the future on a camera from the past, they balance each other out, and you're back to conventional modern film. Something to do with tachyons and the flux-capacitor, I believe...

Don't believe what Mark says. The Pixie has him confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I'm glad you brought that up, Willie. I do not readily have an 8x10 that can accept a 47mm Super-Angulon as-is. Does the lens have a physically restricted cut-off (built in), or does it just project a gradually diminishing circle of coverage?

Anyone?
    Do the arithmetic. A 47 mm lens that covers 8x10 will cover 145 degrees. Can a Super Angulon cover 145 degrees? I just asked the broken 90/8 SA I use as a paperweight whether it can illuminate 140 degrees. It can't. There's no sharp cut off, just a combination of cos^4 falloff and mechanical vignetting by the cells' rims.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    From my experience the smaller the aperture the more abrupt the image cut-off is. Think of it this way... Remove the GG and set the lens at its minimal aperture. Move to the side till the aperture ceases to transmit any image light. Within the distance of maybe 5mm you will go from transmitting light to no transmission of light. Now open up the lens to its maximum aperture. Do the same thing. This time the circular aperture opening will slowly go from being a circle, through being an oval, and finally no transmission of light but this will take moving you eye maybe a couple of cm. Does that make sense?
    No. None.

In my experience, the smaller the aperture the less effect mechanical vignetting has. My paperweight of a broken 90/8 Super Angulon agrees with me.

Thanks for all the replies. I have a Sinar PII with lens Board and Copal shutter. May be I will experiment with some Fuji instant films and see what the image looks like and go from there. As for Richardman, I do have several large format lenses fro 90mm to 203mm which I use regularly. I was only trying to see what I can do with these excellent Nikkor lenses, some kind of alternate use.. If something interesting turns up, I will post it here. Thanks once again

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post

If it is a modern large format camera, then yes. However, using a modern lens on a vintage large format camera can cause conflicts and paradoxes in the space-time continuum. I tried it and my film came out as tintypes. Many photographers are currently using this to their advantage, as can be seen in the current revival of wet plate and other historic processes. But if you use a lens from the future on a camera from the past, they balance each other out, and you're back to conventional modern film. Something to do with tachyons and the flux-capacitor, I believe...
    Funny that you should bring this up---I've experienced similar issues with the space-time continuum!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Most small format multi-element lenses have rear element groups that converge the rays for the smaller IC... LF lenses do the reverse and expand...

Maybe ultra macro (I use a 55mm Micro Nikkor for VERY close-up work), or long 2 element teles (if the barrel does not cut off the IC might work), but a better application for those nice lenses might be a DSLR with the proper adapter...

Steve K

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Do the arithmetic. A 47 mm lens that covers 8x10 will cover 145 degrees. Can a Super Angulon cover 145 degrees? I just asked the broken 90/8 SA I use as a paperweight whether it can illuminate 140 degrees. It can't. There's no sharp cut off, just a combination of cos^4 falloff and mechanical vignetting by the cells' rims.
    I was asking about mechanical vignetting. Thanks for roundabout answer anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by nagairaj View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. I have a Sinar PII with lens Board and Copal shutter. May be I will experiment with some Fuji instant films and see what the image looks like and go from there. As for Richardman, I do have several large format lenses fro 90mm to 203mm which I use regularly. I was only trying to see what I can do with these excellent Nikkor lenses, some kind of alternate use.. If something interesting turns up, I will post it here. Thanks once again
    But do you have modern large format lenses or only old ones like the 203mm. There is a very big difference between a 203 antique and a 210mm Apo Sironar S or between a 90mm Angulon and a 90 mm 4.5 Grandagon N or a SA 90mm XL!