Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Century 9A Restoration

Re: Century 9A Restoration

My only other bit of wood work is the minor splits in the stand posts, will glue up relatively easily.
    Michael

Bellows cleaned up pretty well, now for some suppling agent lol. Still some dust inside so will blow out next time I have the compressor plugged in. Took another sliver to do the "spoon test" to see if it is leather or man made.
    Michael

Interestingly some of the brass parts from the sliding carriage are chemically blackened, I imagine to stop any reflection.
    Michael

There wan't enough consistency on the stripped cranking mechanism to call it a "finish" there was plenty of evidence of a black paint I am taking as an original finish, it wasn't very even but it was here and there. So the decision to satin black the assembly was made...... Correctly I am hoping although this was never set out to be a 100% resto just to make it beautiful and functional again.
    Michael

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20160829_124404-M.jpg  

Bit of progress, a spirit stain chosen and wiped on as a first coat, still another 1 or 2 to go to get it even. It was as close to original colour as I could find and looks great. Will probably go for a wipe on Poly finish and rub with 0000 steel wool to remain as a satin as I am a bit worried more traditional finishes like shellac etc might not be stable enough for wet plate whereas poly is bullet proof and wiping on gives a more authentic finish to brush... maybe lol.

I used a leather conditioner on the bellows as I couldn't find any indication that it wasn't leather but I don't think it did much so now I am leaning towards it being some kind of man made material and will try something else in the next day or so. In saying that they did clean up beautifully inside and out although I still need to gently blow out with air to remove the dust grains inside.

Michael

The winding mechanism was painted pretty well in 1 piece as I was loathe to belt pins through 100 year old (give or take) cast iron for no real need, I tried all pins / parts and only removed those that would move easily. The last thing I wanted was busted cast iron! The machine screw that holds the wheel on had snapped at the level of the axle but has a bad bur on it so I will have to get the dremel in there and try and grind it down to get the wheel off so I can "easy out" the rest of the stud in the axle.
    Michael

Looks great!
    Tin Can

Agonized over chopping into the original rails on the 9A but to fill these craters I am left with no option, I haven't any mahogany but managed to find some 3/4 x 5/8 brass so I spent the day filing v's into each end and will let them into the rails and shape to suit. I reckon it will suit the period just will look odd to a "train spotter" in 50 years lol. "Oh it is the really rare one with the brass stiffener in the rail eh"
    Michael

Hand stamp a low number in them and call them 'Vibration Dampeners'.

A rare and valuable enhancement.
    Tin Can

Yep Randy that's my thinking ha ha!

Cut in the brass inlays, came up pretty well, still only roughed in with a file (the brass) so looks like I will be filing, sanding and polishing tomorrow.
    Michael