Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Does It Really Matter?

Re: Does It Really Matter?

I sold some gear to buy a Wehman because I wanted something nice that didn't weigh a ton. I have a bad back so a Calumet C1 or Toyo monorail wouldn't do. I didn't want an old rickety wooden tailboard camera. I know that there are photographers on here that can produce beautiful results with the worst piece of crap but I didn't want to fool with that. I'm just an amateur having fun with a hobby so I want to enjoy using the camera and not fighting with it.

Same for me and my Wehman. I had a Tachihara which is still a nice camera but I just didn't get along with it. So I never wanted to shoot with it.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Does It Really Matter?

I think the biggest problem with LF is that it just needs to be a format you use to make you work... Versus the reality for most, which is a casual format we enjoy but ultimately it holds us back because of financial aspects.

My photographic heroes told me if I can't shoot 8x10 like a roll of 120 then I'm just holding myself back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My concern regarding entry of a newbie into LF work is that there's a substantial learning curve.

LF relates to small-format or digital imaging only in that light passes through a lens.
    All other aspects of LF work are very different from smaller formats.

Learning how to do LF properly requires a lot of experimentation. Starting out with 4x5 lets you explore many options (films, lenses, tripods, etc) at much lower cost than with 8x10 or larger.

If you have really deep pockets, it doesn't matter at all.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

My biggest issue was and continues to be the back end stuff... Developing film is scientific and formulaic... I'm a little to loosey goosy and it costs me. I let my lab take care of critical work and they do a much better job than I do.

If you want to shoot LF like 120 film in terms of quantity of exposures, and keep costs in control there is X-Ray film. There is an enormous thread about that on this site.

FWIW I'm not advocating that the OP buy a loosey goosey piece of junk, only that with all things being equal the photographer's vision is what matters more. If you can't see a great potential photo (upside down and backwards, no less) it doesn't matter if your camera and lens cost $5,000 or $50.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by dodphotography View Post
    My biggest issue was and continues to be the back end stuff... Developing film is scientific and formulaic...

I prefer to think of my approach as Cavalier.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Same for me and my Wehman. I had a Tachihara which is still a nice camera but I just didn't get along with it. So I never wanted to shoot with it.
    I had a Tachihara 4x5 before I bought the Wehman. I replaced the lenses for the Tachi with ones that would cover 8x10. Unfortunately, most were pretty heavy on the Tachihara's front standard so I sold the camera and bought a 4x5 back for the Wehman.

My Tachihara was so pretty that I was always afraid I was going to scratch it. The Wehman reminds me of my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It may not be pretty but it sure is rugged!

My biggest beef with the Tachi 8x10 was the paper bellows (original to the camera). Not sure if the 4x5 is the same as I've never seen/used one, but when I was hiking I was always worried I was going to skewer the bellows with an errant branch. Most times I hike with the camera on the tripod and slung over my shoulder, padded with my darkcloth. Anyway, I've read a lot of comments saying the Wehman is ugly...but I think it looks cool and modern. It's the only camera I've used where people correctly guess it is newer manufacture. Even my Linhofs don't get comments like "that looks like it was made recently." Regardless of all that, the ~6 pound weight without the front bed is frankly beautiful .
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome