Quote Originally Posted by Peter De Smidt View Post
Arri and other feature film lighting purveyors produce a wide range of LED light sources. If they're good enough for feature films, then they're probably ok for still photography, especially BW. Will cheaper versions be as good? Probably not. Will they be good enough? Look for user reviews. Flash is not exactly the same as daylight, and neither is most daylight, as that varies tremendously according to time of day, altitude, weather conditions..... So often we get stuck splitting hairs, when the original posters wants to know what a good light to start out would be.
He wants to buy an LED light manufactured for outdoor use where output in lumens is the goal, not color accuracy. I don't think I'm splitting hairs, just trying not to be argumentative LEDs are a bad idea IMHO, having worked with them a fair bit and having tried many DIY solutions like he is proposing. The LEDs used in feature films are VERY expensive. Even a small one runs $2,000. Like I mentioned, I have expensive Fiilexes and even those I find wanting for photography.

Here's a shot of the Fiilexes. As you can see, they are a few feet from the subject so I can shoot at ISO 100, but have to shoot wide open. If you shoot LEDs, don't expect to shoot at f8! As soon as you try to soften your light you might as well light with a candle

https://www.flickr.com/photos/maxoti...7658340149504/

I do feel the thread got sidetracked by worrying about the heat issues of quartz. Those lights have been used for decades and have a proven record. The great thing about quartz is the $40 worklight from HomeDepot is pretty much the same as the $400 light from Lowell. Yes, they're both hot and red, but they have an even color spectrum. Yes, if he can't deal with the heat or the amps they draw, then he must use LEDs. Certainly they're better than nothing.

Believing that a cheap LED will work for B&W photography because there's no color is a rookie mistake. An imbalance in colors will lead to an imbalance in grays. Yes, most people wouldn't notice, but the OP will notice if the LED has very little blue output and he tries to bring out the detail of a blue shirt.

That's my no splitting hairs rant