Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 72XL center filter flare

72XL center filter flare

Although the 72XL is one of my favorite 4x5 lenses, there is one thing about it that drives me crazy: flare from the center filter, especially on overcast days. On clear days with the sun over my shoulder, I’ve never noticed any trouble, but overcast days are a big problem. Especially when using a lot of front rise (I generally shoot architecture), a soft but quite noticeable half-moon haze of pinkish flare appears in the lower half of the image.

I’m quite sure that this is caused by the filter – it never happens when I use the lens alone. I’m also quite sure that it’s caused by light being dispersed through the clouds above – I have tried suspending the ground glass cover over the lens, but then the light leaks in around the edges of the cover, leaving the same pattern with a flareless spot in the middle. Very irritating. It appears that I need some kind of lens hood that will completely shade at least the upper 180 degrees around the lens – without causing vignetting, of course!

I’ve seen discussion on the net about color shifts when using this filter, but none about flare. If anybody has had the same experience, or has any possible solutions to the problem, please let me know. I have read other threads about how difficult (or impossible) it is to shade this lens-filter setup, but I thought I’d ask anyway. As I prefer shooting in overcast light, this is a real concern. I’m even considering buying a 75mm lens instead so I can use a different center filter. The Heliopan and Hoya center filters that I use on other lenses do not have this problem. Any input would be much appreciated.

72XL center filter flare

compendium shade helps - even with this lens.

72XL center filter flare

If you want to contact me off the list I can computer calculate a lens shade specifically for your lens and the format you use. You would need to make it yourself then.

72XL center filter flare

I have the same problem with a Schneider CF 3C Multicoated used either on the 47XL or on a Nikkor SW 65. I wonder if the silver mirrored finish is not the cause for this problem. It can produce light spots or even a half moon ghost image over a good part of the image. I'm not sure the compendium is enough. I use one but maybe not stretched to the limit. (Hi George!). It would be interesting to know if older CF with non reflective finish are subject to that kind of unwanted creative effect too.

72XL center filter flare

I use a Heliopan slim center filter on my 72mmXL and haven't had any issues with flare. Drop me a line offlist if you'd like to do a comparison...

72XL center filter flare

Weird. I've never had issues with flare from the IVb CF on the 72 SA-XL. Here's an typical example: www.tomwestbrook.com/Photography/lf_lenses.html (about halfway down the page). It's two shots on an overcast winter day overlaid: one with, one without the CF. No rise was used on that shot, though.

I almost always use the CF with this lens--in fact I just leave it installed--and haven't noticed any flair on any image. I use monochrome film mostly, though. I don't have a real shade for it, but sometimes shade some overhead light with a gray card.

Maybe I'll try some color film the next overcast day we have just to see what happens. I'd be really ticked off if a $400 filter caused any flair.

72XL center filter flare

Hi me too, Paul ;-)

72XL center filter flare

I get occasional weirdness with center filters as well. I wonder why, other than user convenience, (like that has anything to do with large format photography ; >) they don't make them to attach to the rear of the lens?

72XL center filter flare

Mounting filtres behind the lens will not only create a focus shift but will also affect the optical performance of the lens.

72XL center filter flare

That makes sense Bob, but why not take that into account when designing a lens that everyone knows will be used with a center filter? Using the filter improves the image but why not improve it further? Why not design in center filters for very wide lenses? Not doing so seems like making tires an option on a new car. For real wides you're gonna want the filter just like you'd want tires on your car.

Well maybe for front mounted center filters multi coating would help?

And why does the gradient on my center filters appear silver colored?