Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two Historical W.A. Dagors Side By Side Comparison.

Two Historical W.A. Dagors Side By Side Comparison.

I was lucky enough recently to acquire two Wide Angle Dagors, similar but representing two branches of the Goerz Lineage from the 20th Century. The Older of these is a 1920's version of the C.P.Goerz Berlin Weitwinkel (Wide Angle) Dagor in Barrel (12.5cm, f9 in Barrel). This lens carries an obsolete series of f-stops: 9, 12.5, 18, 25, 36, and 50. The serial number 651121 dates the lens to approximately 1923. Coverage of the "Goerz-Berlin WA Dagor is ~100 degrees. The second lens is the C.P. Gomez American Optical Co. W.A. Dagger serial number 768988 in 4 3/8in (11.1cm), f/8 (date 1945-48) and Coated.
    The Goerz American lens has a more conservative field of view at 90 deg, but is mounted in a working Wollensak Rapax Shutter. Both of these are very fine lenses that will perform well in 5x7 format. The presence of coating on the Goerz American lens should mean higher contrast. I'm going to try to get some images with these on an old 5x7 linhof, and when I do I'll share the results.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0208.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	33.2 KB 
ID:	153256Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	153254Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0206.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	32.3 KB 
ID:	153254
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0207.jpg  
    Last edited by MBuchmeier; 25-Jul-2016 at 16:24. Reason: duplicate photo included

Re: Two Historical W.A. Dagors Side By Side Comparison.

Test results for your lenses here: http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

The tests were done on 4x5. The two lenses have different maximum apertures, were probably made to different prescriptions.

The results of those tests point out one of the pitfalls about generalization of any comparisons based on small samples. Many of the tests are shown on two samples and more often than not there are significant differences between the results.

Quote Originally Posted by MBuchmeier View Post
    The results of those tests point out one of the pitfalls about generalization of any comparisons based on small samples. Many of the tests are shown on two samples and more often than not there are significant differences between the results.
    Okay. I'll bite...

Based upon the above cited statement and also your small 'sample' size (only 1 of each Lens)...
    Could your own Testing/comparison also not run into -- The exact, same pitfall?

Just checking... Thank-you!

Tim, well, yeah, but if the OP does his own testing he'll know what his lenses are good for. Chris and Kerry results give hints about what our lenses are good for, but the only way to know for sure about ours is to test them.

All that said, I think the OP is drawing the wrong conclusion. We know that f/6.8 Angulons and most, if not all, Wollensak and Yamasaki lenses are quite variable. So what?

Nearly all of the lenses Chris and Kerry tested are much better than good enough for moderate (at least 5x) from 4x5 when shot at the apertures we normally use. "Wottle she do wide open?" is more a tiny format than a large format question.

Very nicely stated Dan. Yes... That all makes perfect sense.
    Thank-you, for bringing this 'oversight' to my attention. Greatly appreciated!

My 1913 CP Goerz, Berlin, 120mm f6.3 Dagor in a Compoud isn't much different in terms of size, it's tiny and according to Goerz cover 5x4 wide open and 7x5 stopped right down. It's a good contrasty lens how sharp I've yet to test with 7x5.

Ian

This is the Goerz Wide Angle Dagor 125mm f9, serial #560852, 4x5, Fomapan 100, with red filter

Of course it will, but with a sample of one of each type you'll never know whether it's a good sample or a bad one.

Beautiful tone and contrast, sharp definition. an excellent lens.