Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there any Agfa APX25 equivalents available?

Are there any Agfa APX25 equivalents available?

Hello All,

I'm not at all familiar with Agfa film and I was asked this today by a fellow shooter what film today is equivalent.

If anyone can provide me with some recommendations, I would appreciate it.

From the speed, I would say something like the old Plus-X. I can't even find out if this was slide or negative....

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Navy Moose

Re: Are there any Agfa APX25 equivalents available?

There is no real replacement for it. I still enjoy using my few remaining 120 rolls of APX 25 ;-)

Anyway, the best substitute so far that I found for roll film and 35mm is Rolleipan 25. It is a closer relative of Orwo's old NP15 than Agfa's APX 25, but its quite nice (made by Filmotec in Wolfen). Developed in Tetenal Neofin blue, they are close in gradation and appearance.
    As far as sheet film goes, APX 25 was unfortunately never available as sheet film, only its predecessor, Agfapan 25. However, AFAIK Adox Pan 25 is the same film as the Rolleipan 25, and it comes in 4x5. Freestyle sells it, although right now it is on back order.

Thank you :-)

Arne,

in case you run out of APX 25 in 120 .. please let me know .. I still have quite a bit of that film from the the last batch coated and finished by Agfa (expiry 2006) .. film is in superb condition,

greetings,

Joerg

Is Efke 25 related to Rollei/Adox 25? Also, I have a couple of bricks of apx 25 135-36 if someone is interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyon View Post
    Is Efke 25 related to Rollei/Adox 25? Also, I have a couple of bricks of apx 25 135-36 if someone is interested.
    No, that is a different beast based on the original ADOX KB14 film from the 1950's. The Dr. Schleussner company, the founder and owner of the ADOX brand, was later bought by DuPont which then moved the production to Efke in what was then Yugoslavia. Fotoimpex in Berlin (the present owner of the ADOX name) sells the Efke one too, as ADOX CHS 25 Art, different from ADOX Pan 25.

Hello Joerg and friends of APX 25!
    My stock of frozen APX 25 in 120 rolls is non-empty as well, but I keep it preciously as vintage bottles of wines to be opened with good friends on special occasions !

..from the the last batch coated and finished by..
    So, if I understand well, Joerg, this APX 25 film is the perfect companion of your Apo Germinars...
    from the the last batch coated and finished by
    ...Docter Optics

Not kidding : I am always impressed by the dynamism of the B&W film & paper business in Germany (and the UK of course). In comparison, France looks so small... with the exception of the superb efforts made by Guy Gérard at BERGGER !

After a reference article on Zeiss-Jena and Docter Optics, may be Arne & Joerg could think about bringing us their first- hand knowledge about ORWO and Filmotec !

All the best from France !

Emmanuel,

if you or your friends would like to continue to use APX 25 in 120 format .. there is no problem .. just let me know .. there is quite a bit .. and as we kow much easier to use than TP and the combination of fine grain and tonality in Rodinal is just beautiful .. so a good match for your Rollei 2,8F... or on your 6x9 baby. For first time users of APX 25 .. they may need more than one roll to fine tune exposure/development .. but there are enough bricks and original Agfa Rodinal bottles to optimize.

Emmanuel.. I am very sorry I could not make it to Bourges .. had very much enjoyed to meet you and the french community .. I heard it was a Great meeting .. perhaps this spring in Vienne/Rhone-Alpes at Michel's meeting.

You are right .. the Adox films made at Neu-Isenburg were sold by DuPont after their Photo Products Department had bought that plant from Dr. Schleussner to then only make X-ray and Graphic Arts materials.

Since I am a few days older than you .. I still in my early days shot with the then famous Adox KB 15 ... I was rather disappointed to learn that after so many years of manufacture Efke was not able to get rid of that terrible curl of their roll film ..

So if interested in APX 25 .. from last batch made .. let me know...

Very best wishes,

Joerg

Emmanuel,

I correct myself .. that was the Adox KB 14 !!! .. getting older !

Best,

Joerg

Hello,

I received a request whether APX 25 would be just for Arne and Emmanuel .. the answer is no ! .. if there are friends who value APX 25 in 120 (Rollei, Blad, Mamiya, ..etc. .. or Super Rollex users on 4x5 LF etc. ) .. just drop a mail , would bring down shipping cost per roll.

Best,

Joerg