Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

Hey folks!

Is there a viable solution to bring LF and 6x17 slides into a smaller format for projection?
    I know there are film Recorders but this business seems to be nearly dead and the services that are left are extremely pricey.
    So could you imagine a solution of copiying with a macro on a lighttable?

Best regards,

Sebastian (Germany)

M.A. Wikstrom

Re: How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

I guess you could try copying them into a 6x4.5 camera using a light box and macro lens, or normal lens with an extension tube. Mask around the original to prevent flare.

I would go with the "duplicate with film" option. Problem is, you will need a low contrast film, which are pretty much non-existent these days unless you're willing to purchase past-date film stock. Ektachrome 100(EPN), Ektachrome 64(EPR) or Fuji Astia 100F would all be suitable candidates. Having proper rear illumination for the film to be copied, however, will be the tricky part. You do not just have to worry about how "even" it is, but also the color temperature of the light source. Even 200 degrees Kelvin(or even less, depending how discerning your eye is) can see a change in color balance(which can also be good, if you want to warm up the entire shot, for instance, or cool it down).

Are you intending to display(as in an analog slide projector) these 6x4.5 frames? If so, have you considered scanning the desired frames, then printing them via inkjet onto clear mylar, then mounting them in the slide frames? I've never done this, but thought about it just now. Not sure if it'd work, just a thought.

But yes, a "light box" consisting of a piece of milk-white plexiglass, then a black "frame"(I'd use 4 or 8-ply matboard for this) to mask out the errant light. Make sure to have a good lenshood as well. Bracketing a test roll will be helpful.

Personally, I'd rather use a strobe head as my source of illumination than a traditional lightbox.

You can also over-expose and "pull" process the film being used to copy the originals. Experimentation for proper density/contrast to match the originals is recommended of course.

-Dan

have you considered scanning the desired frames, then printing them via inkjet onto clear mylar, then mounting them in the slide frames?
    I'm afraid that will yield very poor image quality. Imagine inkjet dots enlarged 100 times. It won't be a pretty sight, although it may be a plan B especially if the projection size is tiny or viewing distances are huge.

You can reduce contrast by flashing the film. The old Bowens Illumitran slide duplicator had a contrast control unit that flashed white light onto a piece of glass at 45 degrees, while the slide original was projected through it.

Rick "who would scan it and project it digitally with a 4K projector" Denney

I run daily digital slide shows on my HD TV and on a much less than 4K digital projector. The 16 year old DLP still looks good in a darkened room. I run custom slide shows for visitors. No sound just images changing on a screen. The screens are on walls like frames and without seating areas. Folding chairs.

Some are recent film scans. Most are my entire image library dating back 60 years.

I use Chromecast to access my drives and sometimes I see an image I totally forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by rdenney View Post
    You can reduce contrast by flashing the film. The old Bowens Illumitran slide duplicator had a contrast control unit that flashed white light onto a piece of glass at 45 degrees, while the slide original was projected through it.

Rick "who would scan it and project it digitally with a 4K projector" Denney
    Tin Can

If you are projecting them anyway, why not just scan them into image files and project them from a computer with an LCD projector?

my thoughts as well
    Quote Originally Posted by djdister View Post
    If you are projecting them anyway, why not just scan them into image files and project them from a computer with an LCD projector?

Quote Originally Posted by sdzsdz View Post
    Hey folks!

Is there a viable solution to bring LF and 6x17 slides into a smaller format for projection?
    I know there are film Recorders but this business seems to be nearly dead and the services that are left are extremely pricey.
    So could you imagine a solution of copiying with a macro on a lighttable?

Best regards,

Sebastian (Germany)

Let me suggest a different aproach:

Go straight and just project the 4x5 slides !!!! Full ressolution : )

Just use a 4x5 view camera for it, using a common good LF lens to conserve image quality, you'll need a condenser type strong light source (LED, less heat) to illuminate the slide that has to be placed in place of the ground glass.

At the beginning photographers were using view cameras as enlargers.

Another way it's an overhead transparency projector, less quality... but a good start.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DUKANE-622A-...3D182203475448

Best Regards

Pere (Catalonia, Spain)

How to bring 4x5 and 6x17 slides on to 6x4,5 film

If you are tempted by the overhead projector, mount the slides in opaque masks that completely cover the glass plate of the projector. The big problem with those is that they spray stray light all over the room.

Getting enough light through a view camera is really going to be a challenge. A condenser head from an enlarger is a starting point, but projection images are subject to the inverse square law, and the viewing space will never be as dark as a darkroom.

Rick "sorta liking the overhead projector idea" Denney