Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: visualization versus previsualization

visualization versus previsualization

Great suggestions everyone! I think I will cut myself a viewing card and go out in the field amd try some more. How do you simulate different focal lengths with a card? Do you hold it close to the eyes for a wide-angle look and further away for a tele look? The Linhof finder is cool too - until I saw the price tag ($1400 at B&H)...

James - I know when Ansel used the term 'visualization' he was more concerned with how the tonal range would reproduce on a black&white photo. I just "borrowed" that term and made up the distinction between visualization and previsualization, since looking at a waistlevel finder seems one step closer to the finished product (i.e. photo) than just looking at the World without viewing aid. Thanks ya all!

It's my understanding (perhaps others will confirm) that if you cut the viewing hole the same size as the negative, then the distance you hold it from your eye will correspond to a lens of that focal length. For example, it you hold it 150mm from your eye it will be the same field of view as a 150mm lens. I've also heard of attaching a string to the corner of your viewing card and tying knots in the string at the various distances for which you have lenses. I've never tried this because I already feel conspiciuos enough with a LF camera and related paraphanalia!

I use a 4X5 viewing card with a string attached to one side and knots at the focal lengths of the lenses I have. I would be lost without it. You can do accurate composing and even shifts using the card. When I set up the camera, I am rarely suprised at what is presented on the ground glass. One area where this knot distance fails is on close up as the effective focal length of the lens becomes longer.