Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Tripods for 4x5

5 Tripods for 4x5

I need to purchase 5 tripods for 4x5 field cameras. They need to be on the cheap side as I cant afford 5 Gitzos. I own a few tripods already but this is for some students and need 5 exact setups. Tripod and heads dont need to be 10x carbon fiber or super tall, or go down to the ground. Just hold the cameras and not be too bad. I know the forum is full of information on tripods and gear but my approach is something good enough and that wont break the bank. Thanks in advance. I have checked the Benro with a head for 150$. Screen shot included. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Captura de pantalla 2016-07-04 a las 19.45.45.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	152442

Re: 5 Tripods for 4x5

You can buy a surveyor's tripod at Home Depot for about $100.00. There are adapters available online to attach the camera to the legs. They cost about $20.00. No head, but many do not use one for large format.

If your cameras are lightweight wooden ones, you might look at the Tiltall sold by B&H. A classic design, I have used my ancient (Marchioni) Tiltall to hold my 7-pound Zone VI.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sampson View Post
    If your cameras are lightweight wooden ones, you might look at the Tiltall sold by B&H. A classic design, I have used my ancient (Marchioni) Tiltall to hold my 7-pound Zone VI.
    Today's Tiltall from China have very little to do, except for shape, with the Marchioni or the E Leitz version. The construction changed with Star D many, many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon View Post
    Today's Tiltall from China have very little to do, except for shape, with the Marchioni or the E Leitz version. The construction changed with Star D many, many years ago.
    Originals abound on the big auction site with prices averaging around $100 USD. It would be trivial to get 5 of them for a reasonable budget before the OP's class starts.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig."

seezee at Mercury Photo Bureau
    seezee on Flickr
    seezee's day-job at Messenger Web Design

I haven't tried the Chinese imported Tiltall copies, but have owned the Marchioni, Leitz, and Star D versions. All of them gave fine service with up to a 5x7 B&J with a 500mm lens (in calm wind).

I've used a tiltall from about ten years ago and it seems better than most $150 tripods. I've owned the Leitz and Marchioni ones and think highly of them for an affordable and simple tripod.

The Benros are probably decent, but I personally don't like using a ball head with LF. Some people don't mind.

I never much liked ball heads either but I tried one of the FLM's and really quite like it because you can lock the side-to-side and tilts separately, but for the $$$ the OP is wanting to spend ball heads are pretty much it. Of course you can always not use a head and just control tilt with the tripod legs, but in a class setting that's probably too hard.

When I was checking out tripods to students, we went with all Bogan/Manfrotto solid, and as I carried several different sizes, relatively the same size to size. I prefer a tripod that is a little on the heavy side...heavier than the camera, at least.

This is what I would consider minimum for students: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ipod_with.html

I think students need a solid base to work from -- for better images and for the sake of the cameras. It has been awhile since I have had to buy tripods...I am afraid the above might be above your price range -- but they do last and spare parts are available and relatively easy to repair yourself.
    "Landscapes exist in the material world yet soar in the realms of the spirit..." Tsung Ping, 5th Century China

I used to have one of these for my 4x5. I sold it, now have a much heaver set up that I bought for for my 11x14 and now holds my 5x7. They are good tripods and not too heavy, good build quality.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...es_Tripod.html
    Rick Allen

Argentum Aevum

practicing Pastafarian