Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What 4x5 camera for the Fuji 450-C lens?

Octogenarian

What 4x5 camera for the Fuji 450-C lens?

Jeffery,

The Ebony SV45U has the same 445mm. bellows as my former SV45TE. You will still need to use an extension lensboard if you want to focus the Fuji 450C closer than infinity on that camera.

I measured the extension of my Ebony SV45U last night (I'm about to buy one of those Fuji 450 Cs) - basic extension is around 440mm but you can get 485mm with front tilt (a little more with rear tilt) on a flat lensboard. Using the front tilt and rise to get this extension is not inconvenient - when you have to do it on both standards, it is a bit of a pain. While I appreciate that many like to be able to use every lens they own at 1:1, I want this lens strictly for landscapes so for my purposes, 485mm is more than enough extension. If I want to shoot closer than 15 feet or so, I'll just use a different lens. Using a heavier lens like the 450mm M Nikkor in a copal 3 shutter at this sort of extension may stress the front standard a bit, but because the Fuji is so small and light, it will not be a problem at all.

Don is correct. I also have an Ebony SV45U, and frequently use the Fujinon 450 C at distances closer than infinity without an extension tube. You can articulate only the front standard which isn't much fuss and helps quite a bit. Articulating both standards is more trouble, and I've thought of getting the short Ebony extension board, but articulating the standards isn't so much trouble that I've actually bought one.

Steve

Octogenarian

Steve,

How much closer than infinity can you focus without articulating at least one standard? From my experience, using the Fuji 450C mounted on the Ebony 34mm. extension lensboard on the SV45TE, eliminated the need to articulate, caused no problem with camera movements, and did not induce flare. After I sold the Fuji 450C, I mounted my Nikkor 300M on the same extension lensboard, and my wife uses it on her 4X5 Tachihara. That extension lensboard is one of the handiest accessories we own.

Eugene,

Probably about 20 - 25 feet with articulating the front standard only. I really ought to test it. Thanks for the info on the extension board. I was wondering if it was worth it. Maybe that gets bumped up on the "priority list".

Steve

A Fuji 450 "C" will work with ease on an Ebony SV45U2 (not SV45U); in fact I can focus a Nikkor 720 tele (about 475mm bellows at infinity) down to about 20 feet. It's an absolutely wonderful camera and won't disappoint.

Regards,
    Danny www.dannyburk.com
    Visit www.dannyburk.com for fine photography galleries, drum scanning, instructional workshops and Photoshop tutorial, tips and more

The Fuji will focus on the Ebony SV45U as I and others have apparently done,...often. Not sure why Danny thinks it won't?! If that camera meets your needs otherwise, you'll find it compatible with the longish Fuji, which by the way is a great (and compact) lens.

I'm pretty sure Danny just wanted to offer an additional camera model that will accomodate the Fuji 450 C. I believe he was making a distinction between the SV45U2 and the SV45U, not saying that the SV45U is incapable of handling the Fuji 450 C.

The U2 has more extension (510mm, and 590mm with tilts and rise) than the U (445mm, and 530mm with tilts and rise).

I think Danny's point is that the U2 handles the 450-C with no extra "fuss", while the U will require the use of tilts and rise or an extension tube if you want close focussing.

It works on my wisner Pocket Expedition.