Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some closer photos of ShenHao 8x10

Some closer photos of ShenHao 8x10

Some esteemed list members have asked me for additional photos of my 8x10 Shen-Hao, since the few images available on the official site are rather low-resolution. So that others might also see them, I have placed 10 pictures of the camera <bold> here</bold>. I took the photos this afternoon. There is also a photo of the carrying case. The .jpg's are fairly large.

By the way, this camera was returned to me recently from Shen-Hao, who discovered that I had not put the (detatchable) bellows back on correctly, after removing it. They did not see fit to improve the mechanism, and I don't expect to take it off again ! I paid to ship it to them, and they diagnosed the problem and returned it to me for no charge. Fair enough, methinks.

I think you will see that the "fit and finish" is excellent. The wood is teak, and while it does not have the look of 19th century "polish and brass" as do some others, it looks very attractive. The camera is quite rigid and strong at all extensions and positions. Some of the photos show off the rear movements, which are fairly generous for a folding field camera. In my humble opinion, it's a terrific camera.

Ken,

Thanks for the pictures. I'm sorry that you had to return the camera, but I'm glad that there wasn't anything seriously wrong with it. What did the camera wind up costing with shipping? I don't seem to be able to find an inclusive price.

Have you shot anymore with it?

Thanks,

I found the pictures quite interesting, as I own an Ebony RW8x10, the camera on which I understand the Shen-Hao is based. The two cameras, apart from the wood used, are remarkably similar. One big difference however, is that the knobs that lock the front standard on the Shen-Hao are much more substantial than the tiny ones on my Ebony. This has been the one major complaint on my camera; that it is difficult to get the front standard locked down really tight.

In short, I think that Shen-Hao actually improved upon the Ebony design where they saw it needed improving!

In all, it looks like a very well made instrument.

Gee, Ken... I tried to think of anything what could be wrong, exept the camera and exept that. I am sure u'll check it out next time you replace it. Glad I did not recommend someting that would not please you.

Cheers, Richard

Sorry Ken, I cannot quite make out the pictures. If you wouldn't mind sending me the camera, that might help ;-) Looks like a really nice camera. What tripod are you using for it?

It's a Bogen that I bought for Medium Format, and kept for 4x5. I'll get the name of it later, when I get home from work.

The head is a Bogen 3725 410 Compact Head - it allows you to make finely geared adjustments in all 3 directions. I guess I should be using something more robust that resembles a set of telephone poles, but I haven't seen the need. The ShenHao is still light enough (or the head strong enough) that it seems to work fine.

Yes Richard - your advice was very sound. Many thanks !

I know putting on the bellows for the 5x7 wasn't the simplest. But then I'm not sure how usefull the bag bellows are so until I get a lens short enough to really need them I'm not changing again either.

I don't have a bagbellows for my HZX810-IIAT but I removed the standard bellows to try it out, just like trying all the movements and accieving a confident sequence folding and unfolding my camera. Removing and reinserting the bellows seems to me to be a piece of cake, I cannot imagine how it could go wrong. The construction is identical to the one of 4x5 Ebony and very intuitive.

I'm not saying it's impossible but I know I screwed it up the first time. It was obvious that I had and that forced me to pay more attention. But I did screw it up the first time.