Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mercury, a universal camera

Re: The Mercury, a universal camera

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    I have another technical question. What are the focus scales made of and how are they applied to the focusing unit. I would also assume these can only be calculated for a few standard focal lengths. Could you list the focal lengths they will be available for? Also do you happen to know the 'rate' for your helical, by that I mean how many degrees of rotation per millimeter of extension. Will you also supply blank lens adapters that can be drilled for odd ball size lens mounting diameters? Just a few things I curious about and thanks in advance for clearing up questions about this system.
    My pleasure! The focus scales are 3D printed rings keyed to fit onto the helical focus unit. Each accepts an adhesive strip (sticker) that contains the markings for a specific lens. Once adhered to a ring, a focus scale comes into existence. Each can be slipped onto and off of the Focus Unit when changing lenses. So there is no limit to how many of these can be made. We already have about 50. To see the current list of available lens kits (each of which includes a focus scale, except for system lenses that have their own built-in helicals, of course; those are different adapters), check out the recently added lens compatibility page at the Mercury site. Anyone can make more, even users calibrating their lenses at home. Eventually, our goal is to to have ready-to-go lens kits (each with a focus scale) for every practical and common view camera lens out there.

The focus unit has, according to my rough calculation, about 1mm of extension for every 16 degrees of rotation, with a maximum extension of 17mm. It was designed to handle lenses from 65mm to 150mm. Lenses outside of this range use special rotating helicals to meet their needs for longer reach (long lenses) or extreme compactness (ultrawides).

We already have lens adapters for every shutter I know of, and some generic sizes. We have one that is a pretty small hole, meant for attaching a pinhole drilled in some little scrap of material. This adapter is essentially what you're asking for, as the hole can be enlarged to any arbitrary size.

Thanks again for your questions!

Cheers,
    Zach
    The Mercury, a universal camera: www.mercurycamera.com

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    I have to admire a project of this type. I do not have to admire its resemblance to previous products.
    Hi Jac, the Mercury, in order to fulfill its promise of being able to pair nearly any lens to any format, must incorporate many standard design elements. We are not trying to push the limits of camera aesthetics, but rather of camera modularity. So, sure, the front lens stack may somewhat resemble something from a Graflex, because it conforms to the Pacemaker lens board standard. This allows one to mount any lens that can be mounted on a Pacemaker (even with the same board!), if you are fine with fixed focus. And sure, the "pancake" design of the front adapter and rear back adapter may resemble a Hasselblad SWC, a Graflex XL, a Cambo Wide, or an Alpa, because it is meant to be able to shrink to that size when necessary, to mount the lenses designed for those systems. We wanted to make a fully modular, universal, open system, and that means maximizing interoperability with existing gear out there. As the many folks who have posted here and contacted us directly have affirmed, many have been waiting for this kind of breakthrough. If it's not for you, no worries at all. I'm just explaining that for the type of breakthrough we were after, we had to forego radical departures in design aesthetics that would restrict capabilities and interoperability. That's just the nature of the system: it is deliberately like previous cameras because it seeks to be able to do what they can do and utilize gear designed for those systems, while also being able to do much more.

Cheers,
    Zach

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    I wish you the best. You seem to know a lot about the challenges, and are offering something novel that can really help photographers. That's great to see in a world of a lot of hyped up photography projects that don't really offer much. Yours will do well if you can get enough audience looking....
    Thanks Garrett! Indeed, the difficulty of a project like this is getting it seen in time by enough people! We have no doubt that the need is out there. We are also quite confident in the system itself, after two years of development and testing. But boy, have there been challenges! We've overcome them all so far, but there will be more; of that we have no doubt! Again, thanks for your kind words!

Cheers,
    Zach

joseph

The project looks great, and I thought the video was very entertaining, although you did cast the older guy with the beard as the large format guy-

Still, older is probably relative...

Good luck with the project, hope you make it, it's looking good so far-

Joseph

Quote Originally Posted by jb7 View Post
    The project looks great, and I thought the video was very entertaining, although you did cast the older guy with the beard as the large format guy-

Still, older is probably relative...

Good luck with the project, hope you make it, it's looking good so far-

Joseph
    Hi Joseph, thanks! We all know that large format photographers are young at heart!

Seriously, though, I do hope that this introduces more young photographers to large format.

Cheers,
    Zach

Well, I backed this thing but even if it is not successful they might learn enough to relaunch with a more mature knowledge of what folks want.

Quote Originally Posted by plywood View Post
    Well, I backed this thing but even if it is not successful they might learn enough to relaunch with a more mature knowledge of what folks want.
    Thanks plywood! You are right: we have indeed learned a great deal about what folks out there want, in just a little over a week. That has been the most rewarding thing so far about finally bringing this to the public. And it will certainly affect future Mercury development. Meanwhile, though, I think that we will be successful with this first KS launch, despite the learning curve...

Cheers,
    Zach

3D-Stereo-Aeropanoramas

Re: The Mercury, a universal camera-Rangefinder Laser Meter is needed

Quote Originally Posted by zhorton View Post
    Bryan, thanks for your support, and your excellent questions! Let me give them a quick shot:

For ultra wide lenses, the normal Mercury Focus Unit is swapped out for a special "Rotating Wide Helical." For the 23 format, this is everything below 65mm. For the 45 format, that's everything below 90mm (as you correctly guessed). This special helical allows lenses down to about 35mm work on 23. I'm not sure about the limit on 45 (this helical is designed to allow recessing as well as extension). I've only tested down to 65mm, which works fine. I would love to know if your ultimate extreme example would work. If you or anyone else wants to loan me the lens, I'd be thrilled to try to make it work (seriously)! For now, though, I'd say that shorter than 65mm on large format is unknown territory. With the 23 back that 38mm lens would work with no problem. I've tested it with the Zeiss Biogon 38mm and that certainly works. I don't think the Schneider has a shorter flange distance...

The 45 back adapter adds 30mm of rear extension to the camera.

The downside of the rotating helical is just that: the lens rotates as you adjust focus. That's the price to pay on the Mercury for ultra wide angles. But we have a full focus scale system for this helical just as we do with the standard one, so focusing is very precise.

In general, each lens has its own focus scale calibrated to the Mercury. That slips on the Focus Unit when you change lenses. In general, to change a lens you unscrew its barrel from the helical. If you're changing to a lens that is radically different in focal length, you also have to swap out a front spacer or a rear spacer, or the helical itself. Front spacers and helicals are both swapped by loosening the four front bolts (like a technical camera).

I don't want to get too technical, but basically there are multiple possible ways to adapt any given lens (longer or shorter barrel, longer or shorter front spacer, longer or shorter rear spacer, etc. There are basic kits to keep things simple, and more advanced options for users with specific needs and who, for instance, want to make it as easy as possible to switch between their exact lenses. But I hope my basic description here has cleared things up a bit. Different lenses have different requirements, so the solution depends on the lens (and what other lenses you want to swap easily).

But the bottom line is that almost all super wides work well, as long as you are okay with the lens rotating (this is fine for most people, but not for some who uses CPL and/or circular gradient filters all the time).

As for cheap rangefinders, they do work with all lenses. They just measure distance; you then enter that distance on the helical. It's one more little step than a coupled rangefinder, but the advantage is that it then becomes possible to adapt any lens (universal). The problem you describe, of a rangefinder only working with one lens, only applies to couple rangefinders. This is why only a handful of lenses will work with a Graflex XL, etc. (Some coupled rangefinders have removable cams, but these just push the problem to the cams... but I digress.) For the Mercury, the burden of getting the focus to work falls on the focus scale, which has to be created by someone at some point; it will then work with any rangefinder. One does have to have an accurate one, though, and really old ones may need to be calibrated for accuracy. Another option is to use a cheap laser distant finder for absolute accuracy (but limited range). We'll make a simple cold shoe mount for one that is readily available on ebay for under $20.

I hope this helps clear things up and allow you to decide which setup will work best for you! (But really, now I want to test that 38mm on 4x5; I think it would work with some significant recessing.)

Cheers,
    Zach
    A Rangefinder Laser Distance Meter is advised-costs 160 chf upwards.
    in an earlier message: Was the RB-4x5-adapter meant? Had just contact with the ebay-seller.
    there is the 18°-4x5-camera-system(multile cams) with a rangefinder for around 800usd on ebay. and a cheaper one for 260 usd for 58 and 65mm lenses only with helicoids. cheapest is a 4x5 pinhole for 99 usd.
    www.stereopan.org
    3DStereo-Aeropanorama-Jungfraujoch

Re: The Mercury, a universal camera-Rangefinder Laser Meter is needed

europanorama, here's a link to the laser distance finder that I'd recommend if you want to go that route: http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-m-High-pr...EAAOSwKtlWhJBK

We're working on a simple cold shoe mount for that one.

The other option for handheld (and my personal favorite) is a simple optical rangefinder, like this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Watameter-I-...sAAOSwNuxXYITJ

As for the RB67 adapter, yes, we will be utilizing the guts from the RB67 to large format lens board adapter and rehousing them in a far lighter, more compact form that will mount directly to the Mercury.

I hope that helps!

Cheers,
    Zach

Hi folks,

I've now posted a new technical video (Update 2 on the Kickstarter page) that shows the camera's main modules and how they fit together. I think that this will answer a lot of questions that have come up in this thread. Please check it out!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects.../posts/1606571

Regards,
    Zach