Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Image Gallery?

Re: Image Gallery?

Funny, I think of the images here integrated better than they are in any other forum I visit.

For one thing, they're organized by subject very well, because I'm really not interested in wading through a bunch of things that have no interest to me.

Second, they always pop up in the current posts view, so I know when something new is added to something I follow. Everything that's going on in the whole place is immediately visible and sorted.

Third, I don't have to open a series of pages to get to each one (some forums offer one photo per thread!)

I really can't imagine a better way to do it!
    Thanks, but I'd rather just watch:
    Large format: http://flickr.com/michaeldarnton
    Mostly 35mm: http://flickr.com/mdarnton
    You want digital, color, etc?: http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradofear

Agree, I always use 'Today's Posts' and it is easy to keep up and view it all.

Yup. regular members see all the images as they are posted in their respective topics. All a gallery becomes is an archive which very few people would ever trawl all the way through.

Old School Wayne

I regularly peruse a small fraction of the image threads here. I look at Portraits, alternative, paper negatives and nudes regularly and 2-3 others sporadically, and once in a blue moon I'll look at an image thread I never otherwise check just to see if I'[m missing something. I can't remember the last time I perused the galleries at APUG. Its probably been a couple years at least.

If you just want images, spend time at Flickr. Many of the photographers here use it. Friend/follow them and log into flickr and see pages of photos with minimal text.

I like the mix of photos and discussion here. Learn to use the forum software and you will not have to scroll through zillions of pages to keep abreast of the discussions and sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by mdarnton View Post
    Funny, I think of the images here integrated better than they are in any other forum I visit.

For one thing, they're organized by subject very well, because I'm really not interested in wading through a bunch of things that have no interest to me.

Second, they always pop up in the current posts view, so I know when something new is added to something I follow. Everything that's going on in the whole place is immediately visible and sorted.

Third, I don't have to open a series of pages to get to each one (some forums offer one photo per thread!)

I really can't imagine a better way to do it!
    I really have to agree. The forums here... ain't broke, don't need fix'n'.
    Slang aside it is much more enjoyable to peruse photos here.
    --- Steve from Missouri ---

There are good points and not so good points with regard to placing all images into one gallery or a group of galleries.

I access the forum then select, “new posts”, then I scroll through the new posts and click on various threads, some of which are image based. I always click on Show us your Large Format Camera, which was started by someone named Sheldon years ago.

One of my current threads has been “Foma Film” images, quite the eye opener. Became more interesting when I picked up some Foma film last year. Then there is “Landscapes,” some really brilliant stuff, often inspires one to get out and do it.

The monthly “Portrait” thread is a kaleidoscope of portraits, formal looking, official looking, off the planet looking and with about 7 billion possible subjects, endlessly interesting. Every now and then a breath taking image comes up. The questions and answers about how, why and with what, are as entertaining and educational as anything out there.

Some time ago I needed some ideas for bridge pictures, so I sourced “Bridges” or whatever it is, great source of ideas. Then there is “Paper Negatives” started by Gandolfi, now running under his real name, Emil.

With some of these threads the commentary is most helpful, like the comments in the paper negatives. If you read through enough of them, it is virtually a tutorial on making paper negatives by osmosis.

Maybe a change could be good, if so, I do hope the powers that be, tread carefully. This site is very accessible, and, very good as it is.

Mick.

To me, a gallery would be just photos. A thread is discussion ABOUT those photos, with sometimes a page or more of text discussion before the next actual picture post. Also, the duplication when someone quotes a picture is irritating. Some months in some of the threads you will page (scroll) through seeing the same image 5-10 times, as everyone piles on with basic "I love this one!" comments.

A GALLERY on the other hand, would be just thumbnails or tiled images. No duplicates, no scrolling through pages of text to see the PHOTO, just.......photos. Organized some way, of course. It's a place to see the best (limited number per person) LF shots, quickly and easily. Not the current "hunt, scroll, try to discover" method.

Seems like a no brainer to me. But this forum has a lot of paralysis by analysis.....so this could be discussed and argued for 6 months or so.

Here is a quick, no administration troubles solution: Create a members only LF Flicker group. I created this Petzval group years ago and it was a showcase of LF and wetplate...until the Lomo quasi-petzval people took over: https://www.flickr.com/groups/868027@N25/

But here is another example. Again, this could be set up in minutes, and be for LF Forum members only. example: https://www.flickr.com/groups/pictorialist/

Visit, and in seconds you see dozens of LF photos all on one screen, and can click on ones that interest you.

This is a gallery (The Pictorialist flickr group). What we have are threads and comments about the occasional posted photo. Forums are for discussing photos, galleries are for viewing them.

Note that flickr is a commercial venture, where system resources and staff are paid from advertising revenues.