Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Newbie seeks advice on scanning 5 x 7 inch b & w negatives

Re: Newbie seeks advice on scanning 5 x 7 inch b & w negatives

I actually just ordered the Epson v800 and it will be here Friday.

I read how BetterScans.com holders work and I have concerns about the dry mounting. I have a 5 x 7 in negative and if I tape it to the glass and then it hands down from the glass I am certain with a negative this big it will sag in the center which seems like it would be a problem. The 5 x 7 negatives are quite flat but my experimentation (the little I have done) make me think it would be difficult to have it not sag in the middle.

Placing the negative directly on the glass would seem to eliminate this problem. But I don't have the scanner yet and who knows?

Thanks. Any input appreciated.

Smorton

I use a 750.. and use the film area guide glass for 5x7 and 8x10 - no complaints

I use the film holder deal with 4x5 - also no complaints

now.. when I scan 120 with the film holder.. I feel like the film is flexing or sagging or something... I might try scanning with the glass deal next time..see what happens

but anyway.. use the glass thing that came with - and you will be able to slap the neg into approx. the same location most of the time just thru repetition

Dr Tang:

Thank you. I have heard the 120 film holder isn't good on the Epson v800. Everyone seems to complaint in the reviews area.

It does not come with anti newton glass for 5 x 7 is my understanding.

If I understand correctly, the scanners have an optimal scanning height which apparently is slightly elevated above the glass. With BetterScan holders I worry that the center of the 5 x 7 negative will sag so I will first try it directly on the glass.

I have a professional company scan in 10 of the 5 x 7's. I see what I think are Newton rings. Over $10.00 per scan, which is probably fair but not impressed with quality.

Thank

Smorton

in the scanner software - you choose either 'film holder' or 'film area guide' - which I believe changes where the lens focuses

you didn't get a film area guide glass deal? I think you can buy one from Epson

Quote Originally Posted by Smorton View Post
    If I understand correctly, the scanners have an optimal scanning height which apparently is slightly elevated above the glass. With BetterScan holders I worry that the center of the 5 x 7 negative will sag so I will first try it directly on the glass.
    To reiterate Oren's point, when we use Epson film holders, the scanner detects that holders are in use and adjusts focus upwards accordingly. The same is true if we use BetterScanning holders.

If instead we scan with the "Film Area Guide" (simply a rectangle with a symbol on it which the scanner can detect) the scanner reverts to focus at the level of the glass.

Therefore if Newton's Rings are not a problem, we can get very good scans by simply taping the film to the scanner glass. I use blue painter's tape for this purpose and because the film is placed emulsion-side-down, the tape never damages the emulsion.

I tested again this morning and found that my on-the-glass scan using the Film Area Guide met or exceeded the resolution of my scan with my BetterScanning holder.

It seems to me that the key advantages of the Epson holders are the avoidance of Newton's Rings and convenience: they hold the film flat without the need for tape. However, they crop the image and because they are shiny, cast reflections on the film. The BetterScanning approach mitigates these problems, but is less convenient.

It's good to wear a pair of inexpensive white gloves when handling film: less risk of fingerprints, less need to clean them.

Many thanks. I seem to be a little obsessed with this considering the scanner has not even arrived yet.

I will try without the betterscan holders. Regarding 2.25 negatives, it does appear that there are many complaints about the supplied holders. Maybe spend the extra money there.

Thanks again. A great forum and very helpful.

Smorton

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Lee View Post
    To reiterate Oren's point, when we use Epson film holders, the scanner detects that holders are in use and adjusts focus upwards accordingly. The same is true if we use BetterScanning holders.

If instead we scan with the "Film Area Guide" (simply a rectangle with a symbol on it which the scanner can detect) the scanner reverts to focus at the level of the glass.

Therefore if Newton's Rings are not a problem, we can get very good scans by simply taping the film to the scanner glass. I use blue painter's tape for this purpose and because the film is placed emulsion-side-down, the tape never damages the emulsion.

I tested again this morning and found that my on-the-glass scan using the Film Area Guide met or exceeded the resolution of my scan with my BetterScanning holder.

It seems to me that the key advantages of the Epson holders are the avoidance of Newton's Rings and convenience: they hold the film flat without the need for tape. However, they crop the image and because they are shiny, cast reflections on the film. The BetterScanning approach mitigates these problems, but is less convenient.

It's good to wear a pair of inexpensive white gloves when handling film: less risk of fingerprints, less need to clean them.
    Thank you Kenneth.

By the way, you have a very nice website which and I am enjoying some of your articles. Your scans look great.

Smorton

The Epson V800 arrived and I have been getting very good scans (in my humble opinion) simply by placing the negative on the glass and using the film area with 5 x 7 inch negatives. Interesting that I can compare the scans to the results from a professional lab where I just received 10 scans for $105.00. The ones from the Epson are better in my opinion.

The 8 x 10 anti-newton glass arrived yesterday and I have not had time to try it out. However, so far, I see no signs of Newton Rings in my scans of the 5 x 7 which are placed directly on the glass.

Now I am wondering if I could place 120 black and white film directly on the scanner. I have heard the 120 mounts are not too good.

Smorton

Yes, the Epson is good for typical B&W negatives - especially because you are the operator and can take the time to make each one beautiful.

From 5x7 you should be able to make outstanding prints at very respectable size.

If you don't get Newton's rings, the only problem with roll film is keeping if flat. Using sufficient tape can help with that.
    Last edited by Ken Lee; 27-May-2016 at 11:34.

One easy way to get roll-film (or sheet film) to lie on the scanner with minimal curling: store it long-term in film sleeves.