Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fuji Astia 100f - Need Advice

Happy Valley Oregon (yes, it's a real place)

Re: Fuji Astia 100f - Need Advice

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becia View Post
    Matter of fact, I have visited Rodney's gallery in Las Vegas and can attest to his Astia images being quite excellent in their appearance.
    Thanks for that Jim!

45-57-617

If you go to Japan Exposures

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/f...res_hash=6-258

you will see boxes for sale of said Astia 100F in 8x10 for

30,994.00 JPY = 284.473 USD

I assume they are in stock and will sell and ship.

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    If you go to Japan Exposures

http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/f...res_hash=6-258

you will see boxes for sale of said Astia 100F in 8x10 for

30,994.00 JPY = 284.473 USD

I assume they are in stock and will sell and ship.
    Check again, it says out of stock.

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

Astia did the job as intended, good skin tones and low contrast. But IMHO, E100G was/is a better balanced and overall film.

Astia was a tremendous film, I have 2-10sht boxes of 8x10 in my freezer, and no, they're not for sale
    E100G was/is a tremendous film as well, albeit different. I found I needed a warming filter more with it, however. My remaining stash is something I've considered liquidating, since my color needs are being well met by Ektar 100 and Portra 400(I'm trying to "standardize" across my formats going forward).
    "Hindsight is 20/20", they say. I wish I had the foresight to stockpile a bunch of 4x5 while Astia was still available easily, circa 2008-2010, and I worked at Samy's here in LA. I remember when I started, the Fuji rep brought me in a box of 35/120, a "sample pack" I guess you could say. About 30-40 rolls of E6, C41 and B/W films. Most of those emulsions are now gone(160S, 160C, 800Z, Astia, Sensia, 1600 Neopan, 400 Neopan(great in 120!), etc...), but I got to experiment, and Fuji paid for the processing.

-Dan

Drew Wiley

In any event, 300 sheets is a LOT to already have. You need to do something with it before E6 sheet processing becomes scarce, and more importantly, before
    highlight crossover sets in, which is the way Astia first shows its age. The second symptom will be that old film will start going bland much quicker than fresh
    film once you do thaw it. Gosh, I'm sorting through my remaining 8x10 chromes and wondering if I'll have enough time left in my life to print even dozen of them. They're in the back of the line behind newer color as well as b&w negatives. Of course, quite a few were printed already via Cibachrome. Now the question is whether my little stash of Ciba in the freezer is still good or not.

45-57-617

I apologise. I didn't drill down to open the webpage for the product. I guess that means they expect to get more stock at some point otherwise they'd remove it from their listings ...

8x10 Velvia 100 is available though!

Gawd that must be delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by swmcl View Post
    I apologise. I didn't drill down to open the webpage for the product. I guess that means they expect to get more stock at some point otherwise they'd remove it from their listings...
    That's incorrect. They're just delinquent in removing it from their Web site. Astia and many other long-gone Fuji film items.

Drew Wiley

Sometimes obsolete availability information remains on websites for years before someone removes it. Some outfits deliberately show all kinds of things they
    neither have nor can get, just to suck you into their vortex for the relatively few things they do have. I'm not implying that's the case here. Any sizable sales outfit
    is going to have a degree of dysfunction or delayed communication between the inventory side and the geeks who manage the web aspect. One of the very few
    companies who seems to have truly cured that flaw is McMaster Carr; but it's easier done when everything is is a controlled warehouse environment than subject
    to the foibles of a retail store too.