Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

Re: Forum Growth.....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    I don't believe all topics are fully explored. One of my pet projects is Gas Burst film and plate processing that I believe is under explored and shrouded in obfuscation.
    Perhaps for a good reason.

Re: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

And perhaps not.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    Perhaps for a good reason.
    For large processing batches, gas burst is a whole lot better than the piddly-squat capacity of JOBO gear.

Les

Perhaps all the topics don't need to be pulled up in search, but LF INFO would take the person through all the available cameras, lenses and tree branch of related topics....the rest would have to be scanned through previous posts or starting fresh ones. There is no way to contain everything in a search function. Furthermore, some of the tech/options/films, etc has changed and things get updated...or should be. Just my 2 centavos.

Les

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    For large processing batches, gas burst is a whole lot better than the piddly-squat capacity of JOBO gear.
    it must a be a mystery then, why it not a whole lot more popular.
    Hint - the answer is hiding in the above quote.
    Jac - how many boxes of film have you purchased and shot this year?

Quote Originally Posted by koh303 View Post
    it must a be a mystery then, why it not a whole lot more popular.
    Hint - the answer is hiding in the above quote.
    Jac - how many boxes of film have you purchased and shot this year?
    No mystery because not many people shoot enough to justify gas burst, but endeavoring to make it work for smaller than commercial batches remains a good thing. We can mix various sizes of sheet film and roll film in the same batch with gas. OTOH, JOBO is for small efforts, and it's too damned expensive

How many boxes I use is none of your business, and irrelevant besides. Probably more than you do. This is not a duel. Drop it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jac@stafford.net View Post
    No mystery because not many people shoot enough to justify gas burst, but endeavoring to make it work for smaller than commercial batches remains a good thing. We can mix various sizes of sheet film and roll film in the same batch with gas. OTOH, JOBO is for small efforts, and it's too damned expensive

How many boxes I use is none of your business, and irrelevant besides. Probably more than you do. This is not a duel. Drop it.
    Not very popular = not much public info (or none) = randy posts a question and gets no answer = no new knowledge brought out by posting a question on this forum = the knowledge not already imparted by the forum, is not going to be revealed with new questions, unfortunately.
    As i said before. There is a reason for most things.

And to preempt the next toss - a bunch of photo nerds having a theoretical technical discussion about stuff none of them have actual knowledge about, but most have some form of "i heard it on the internweb" tidbit of irrelevant personal and anecdotal story which they must share with the world, does not constitute new knowledge or a progress of any kind.

The premise of this thread is a logical fallacy: This is not an "either-or" issue and there is no reason why this forum cannot be both repository and community and a few other things as well.

As far as finding information here: The problem lies in the search tools easily available and not on the cataloging (although my OCD half wishes for better organization of content). Until the forum software makes it into the 21st century, I'm happy using Google or one of the other big search engines to find info here (and elsewhere). Keep in mind that, as useful and comprehensive as this forum is, it's not the only source of useful information on most photo topics. I don't seem to have a problem finding what I need unless (gasp!) there just isn't much information about a particular topic on the Internet. I then have to go really analog and find a book...

Best,

Doremus

book?

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    The premise of this thread is a logical fallacy: This is not an "either-or" issue and there is no reason why this forum cannot be both repository and community and a few other things as well.

As far as finding information here: The problem lies in the search tools easily available and not on the cataloging (although my OCD half wishes for better organization of content). Until the forum software makes it into the 21st century, I'm happy using Google or one of the other big search engines to find info here (and elsewhere). Keep in mind that, as useful and comprehensive as this forum is, it's not the only source of useful information on most photo topics. I don't seem to have a problem finding what I need unless (gasp!) there just isn't much information about a particular topic on the Internet. I then have to go really analog and find a book...

Best,

Doremus
    Maybe the LFF people could talk to APUG? Their software upgrade seems to work well, although they are no longer using Tapatalk, which makes it difficult, they claim to have a new app in the works soon that will be better than Tapatalk. Anyway, just a thought on an upgrade.