Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Re: Is the Forum a repository or a community?

p.s. My wife and I are both avid mobile phone users. And there are times, like yesterday, when I tell her that using the desktop computer will be a lot easier. But I seem to have to say that over and over again before it is heard. At one time our generation gap was focused only on movies and television shows, but now it is on computing devices too. Next time I'll avoid the child-bride and marry for money.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. My wife and I are both avid mobile phone users. And there are times, like yesterday, when I tell her that using the desktop computer will be a lot easier. But I seem to have to say that over and over again before it is heard. At one time our generation gap was focused only on movies and television shows, but now it is on computing devices too. Next time I'll avoid the child-bride and marry for money.
    I have vastly improved my desktop usability with DIY, permanent stand up desk holding dual monitors and scanner with roll under stool for long sessions. Centrally located in my multi use loft, I can use it quickly. I was inspired by a certain major political figure who had no desk in his office. I even met the man, a long time ago.

I always carry an iPod and never use any phone.
    Tin Can

Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Note that the fourth match in those results is exactly the thread from 11 days ago
    This brings up an interesting point - how does a Google search decide which threads to show first when searching a topic? Is it newness, or # of keywords? I'm sure it's a combination of many things, but the point is that some information that might be found in a thread from 10 years ago could very well be buried in the Google results due to age.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    This brings up an interesting point - how does a Google search decide which threads to show first when searching a topic? Is it newness, or # of keywords? I'm sure it's a combination of many things, but the point is that some information that might be found in a thread from 10 years ago could very well be buried in the Google results due to age.
    This is at the heart of what made Google as a company. Look up "PageRank" to find lots of interesting technical details and history, though to make a long story short, they've moved on to more elaborate and ever-changing ranking criteria to stay ahead of would-be search engine optimizers trying to game the rankings.

And yes, if one is looking for something obscure but gives up after the first page, one might as well not be searching.

Ah yes the "PageRank" system, I forgot the name.

I remember when I was about 12 and in a computer class in middle school. My favorite search engine back then was called WebCrawler and had a little spider on the page. Hmm, apparently it still exists!

Re: Forum Growth.....or not?

Quote Originally Posted by Oren Grad View Post
    The Forum and the Home Page are managed separately. Renovations of the Home Page would require people who are willing and able to put in the necessary volunteer effort, and who can negotiate and coordinate any proposed changes with Tuan.
    I missed this reply yesterday the threads split as I was posting a reply.

The suggestion of upgrading the front end of the website was brought up before and Tuan at the time was not against this. I'm not suggesting drastic action just taking it from the Text based format it's in now to something rather more modern. There's not a huge number of pages so it's not a big task, essentially it needs a template and the current pages would just be cut and pasted into place with minor tweaking.

However it then probably needs expanding, new articles added, and that has to come from contributions in the main forum, So an example would be using X-ray film.

The problem is that at teh moment the front end now lags well behind the forum and needs bringing into line. I'm sure there ae people here who would volunteer to help, and maybe it needs Moderators to ask Tuan about whether they could be responsible the addition of new articles/resources themselves.

Ian

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    I missed this reply yesterday the threads split as I was posting a reply.

The suggestion of upgrading the front end of the website was brought up before and Tuan at the time was not against this. I'm not suggesting drastic action just taking it from the Text based format it's in now to something rather more modern. There's not a huge number of pages so it's not a big task, essentially it needs a template and the current pages would just be cut and pasted into place with minor tweaking.

However it then probably needs expanding, new articles added, and that has to come from contributions in the main forum, So an example would be using X-ray film.

The problem is that at teh moment the front end now lags well behind the forum and needs bringing into line. I'm sure there ae people here who would volunteer to help, and maybe it needs Moderators to ask Tuan about whether they could be responsible the addition of new articles/resources themselves.

Ian
    No problem!

I agree that it would be nice if the Home Page could be updated/augmented. With the other things he's working on, Tuan can sometimes be difficult to reach. Before chasing him down and imposing on his time, it would probably be best if someone can move beyond a general expression of interest to draft a concrete proposal for specific upgrades and/or additions, co-signed by collaborators who commit to working on it within a defined timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by IanG View Post
    . . . The problem is that at teh moment the front end now lags well behind the forum and needs bringing into line. I'm sure there ae people here who would volunteer to help, and maybe it needs Moderators to ask Tuan about whether they could be responsible the addition of new articles/resources themselves.

Ian
    I'm in general agreement with your observations, Ian.

Like eating an elephant, it's probably best done one bite at a time, or the task seems (or, actually is) overwhelming.

Instead of "lions, tigers, and bears, oh my" we need a cadre of authors, editors and reviewers to volunteer, along with someone who has enough time to coordinate the effort over an extended period.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I'm not sure any results would show up since Google now requires sites to be mobile ready to their standards, to which LFPF is not. Remember many younger people are on mobile devices not sitting all day and night in front of a computer. They are out and about in the world while posting.

This may also account for their inability to search for answers easily...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I just performed a Google advanced search. Here are the results:...Can one not see that page on a phone?...What other search implementation(s) are employed on mobile devices that would prevent someone from obtaining the same Google result I linked to above, regardless of format?
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    None. But you knew that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    Even with your relic desktop, research could have answered your unnecessary question.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ...Nice, Randy. LOL (as they say)
    OK, Randy made his snide comment and Brian enjoyed it. You both seem to have missed the point.

Stone made a claim. I don't feel obligated to investigate his claim via searching or in-person research. The question I asked was intended to lead him into discovering for himself that, ultimately, those "younger people on mobile devices" have all the information available they need. No quirks of those devices stands their way. Mine was essentially a leading question. The burden of supporting his claim falls on him.

This may reflect the later posts where discussion of most people's unwillingness to search was raised. In my opinion, anyone who's not willing to learn how to find information effectively isn't likely to learn how to execute large format photography effectively.

My other passion is acoustic jazz of the type where a musically literate listener can always hear the original melody and chord changes during all periods of improvisation. I dare say there are even fewer young people engaged in that genre today than there are practicing large format photography. Nonetheless, it hasn't died out, and the small group of millennials who discover and fall in love with it are outstanding performers. In my opinion, if this Web site, as well other resources concerning large format photography (think books) are too much trouble for the millennial masses to mine, so be it. The few with sufficient interest and drive will find what they need.

That's de rigueur in the teaching of jazz, at least here, where I took 3 semesters of jazz improv and played in various ensembles. And the photo area has a section of the advanced course dedicated to shooting LF (4x5). The future of both is in the hands of the newbies - let them ask questions!!!