Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kostiner Archival Washer question

Re: Kostiner Archival Washer question

Quote Originally Posted by bunburyist View Post
    I have recently acquired a Kostiner Archival Washer without a valve mechanism. I would be interested to know how others have solved this problem. I would love to hear from anyone who has successfully fabricated a replacement. Seems like a 3d printer might be able to do the job, but I think you'd need to have an original valve in order to replicate one.

My first inclination was to try using a rubber stopper with a hole driilled out to allow a tube to be inserted. However, after reading the cautionary tales of structural failures, it seems likely that the back pressure of the water's weight would pop the plug out as soon as it got full.

My second idea, born of both laziness and expedience, would be to leave the washer drain open and fill it from the top and let it drain from the bottom. I realize that this isn't optimum, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this method and what the results might have been.
    Glad I found this thread. I have a 16x20 Kostiner archival washer that I purchased used some years ago, it also did not arrive with a valve. It just has a hole in the base, if I hold a hose against it, it will fill the tank starting at the bottom and let water overflow out of the top, I guess that's how it works. I have never come up with a fitting so don't use it. I would be interested in what some of you come up with.

Yes, that is how it works; except there's no reason to hold a hose against the bottom to fill it. You can attach a hose using a clamp and PVC fitting(s) as seen in the example below. The water flows out the top - 2nd photo. I have my aerator in line as seen in the 3rd photo, but you can have it at inlet too, provided you are able to take it out to drain the washer. Otherwise, draining it will take forever. You don't need to use an aerator, but washing will be more efficient if you do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	218839

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	218840

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	218841

N. Riley
    http://normanrileyphotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by NER View Post
    Yes, that is how it works; except there's no reason to hold a hose against the bottom to fill it. You can attach a hose using a clamp and PVC fitting(s) as seen in the example below. The water flows out the top - 2nd photo. I have my aerator in line as seen in the 3rd photo, but you can have it at inlet too, provided you are able to take it out to drain the washer. Otherwise, draining it will take forever. You don't need to use an aerator, but washing will be more efficient if you do.

Name:	IMG_2972.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	218839

Name:	IMG_2974.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	68.1 KB 
ID:	218840

Name:	IMG_2973.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	73.1 KB 
ID:	218841

N. Riley
    As per you attached photos, my washer does not have the pictured elbow which allows the hose to be attached to the bottom of the tank, as per John Brady's description above.

To start, I need to determine the size of that hole and how a fitting would attach to it. Does it screw in? Is it a tapered end that is just pushed into the hole and held by pressure (like a cork)?

It's a straight PVC coupling with an outside diameter of 5/8 inch that fits snuggly into the washer without leaking. The rest is a 90-degree PVC elbow and other PVC couplings/adapters as needed to fit whatever size hose you're using. Any hardware store will have these items.

Name:	IMG_2977.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	218843

N. Riley

I have never used the aerator as I don’t trust how it washes where the bubbles stick to the prints or film (I use mine for film also). Washing is actually a leaching process and I don’t rush it. I do it overnight for the final wash at a very very low flow rate and have never seen an issue.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"