Thread: Replace Zone VI Cold light tube with LED lights.

Replace Zone VI Cold light tube with LED lights.

I have a zone vi cold light head and zone vi stabilizer. I am wondering if I can replace the cold light tube with led lights. I have seen the self adhesive led lights and the thought occurred to me to line the cold light head with the led lights. So I have two questions.

1.) Will I need to make any modifications to the voltage/watt output from the cold light head for the LED lights?

2.) Will LED lights work with variable contrast paper without a 40cc Yellow filter?

Thanks

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Re: Replace Zone VI Cold light tube with LED lights.

I have a zone vi cold light head and zone vi stabilizer. I am wondering if I can replace the cold light tube with led lights. I have seen the self adhesive led lights and the thought occurred to me to line the cold light head with the led lights. So I have two questions.

1.) Will I need to make any modifications to the voltage/watt output from the cold light head for the LED lights?
    You can maintain the same light output with some trial and error. Try using a light meter to see how bright the existing lamp is. Then try to match that with your LEDs.

2.) Will LED lights work with variable contrast paper without a 40cc Yellow filter?
    There are thousands of LEDs with different light output. The specific LED you choose will determine how well Ilford filters respond.

You will likely need to use an LED driver, and not the cold light's power supply, to power the LEDs.
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

Thank you to all those that have replied.

Further investigation is warranted.

Gary
    "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost." - H. Jackson Brown

Quote Originally Posted by gary892 View Post
    Thank you to all those that have replied.

Further investigation is warranted.

Gary
    It struck me that a 15 inch flat screen monitor would make a great light source for 8x10 enlarging.

David. And if you've ever been struck by a flat screen monitor, you would know why.