Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Is your Internet speed and cost good enough?

Re: Is your Internet speed and cost good enough?

How much faster than dial up? With our rural service watching most videos online is not worth it. HD is impossible as taking 6-8 hours to download before they can play and then the constant stop/start drive you nuts. Trying to watch an NFL game online is the same thing. A few seconds of action and then 5-60+ of buffering or downloading or whatever it does.

Satellite is not as reliable tho a bit faster. Nothing like no signal with clear skies or it is snowing and you can't get a signal. Just when you want to be inside and check stuff out waiting out a bilzzzard the satellite doesn't work through snow and often not through rain.

Dial up? In 1986 I used a TI Silent 700 with acoustic coupler to dial into a remote mainframe from home. When the connection was poor it dropped back to 110 baud. When it was typing, click ... click ... click.

I just used speedtest (thanks, Thomas, for the link). Depending on the city I chose download speeds ranged from ~ 30 to ~ 60 MBPS, upload from 10 - 12 MBPS. Comcast tells me I have 150. So much for Comcast.

You may relocate to Europe? 1 Gbit symmetrical (up/down) without artificial limitations (rarely less than 900 Mbit @ speedtests). Annual fee: USD 800.
    ;-)

I live in Vermont, so anything approaching "high speed" means being able to get your email in a half hour. The world of technology is only something t those in cities are really able to enjoy.

Eric Woodbury

I'm in the sticks. I have an 801.11 radio bridge that connects to a friend's cable service 6 miles away. Getting 50 Mbps, which is plenty. My friend is being nice and I pay nothing. Service is almost flawless, except right after I say this. Needs an occasional reset. Neighbors are using hot spots, dial-up, satellite, and reading books by lantern light. My neighbor is from Sweden, where even rural is high speed and cheap.

Foamer

Quote Originally Posted by Willie View Post
    Did a test and download was 0.21 and upload was 0.25. How does that compare? We are the last people on the line 9 miles out of the nearest town.(600pop)

I think it would be faster to just mail your photos from the post office.

Looks like my cable is giving me 51 to 70 and 14 to 16 pretty consistently. (They advertise 100/25 LOL.) I have an i7 quad core, 32gb DDR4, updated motherboard two months ago, to handle big PS files.

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

My basic is 100 Meg up and down. Rural Nebraska. 5 teenagers at home. They all want to stream Netflix at the same time.
    Kevin Taylor
    Bonehead amateur

We have gig up/down in burlington, vt. it changed the way I use the internet.

Eric Woodbury

Andy, so what does one do with a gig? How did it change usage?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Woodbury View Post
    Andy, so what does one do with a gig? How did it change usage?
    cloud storage/backup of giant files becomes super easy, so does downloading/transferring large files. The fast up speeds make uploading things to various file sharing (wetransfer, ect) take almost no time.

I have it at home and work, so I can move big files back and forth really easily, or you can set up a home machine as your own network storage and work on files from there without lag.