Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Is your Internet speed and cost good enough?

Re: Is your Internet speed and cost good enough?

Quote Originally Posted by onnect17 View Post
    http://www.linfo.org/latency.html

I think the explanation here, although basic, it's easier to understand than what I found in Wikipedia.
    Also related is the Round Trip Time (RTT). It's the latency in both ways.
    Depending on the Speed Test and time, I regularly get 0,2, 3, 4 ms latency which seems good to me. I have been researching file transfer times.

I expect in 10 years, what I now have will be crap and something way faster will be au courant.

I also imagine real need for that speed as imaging changes to include something like augmented reality and holographic intervention. It's all described in our ancient texts. Sci-Fi has been a good predictor of technology.
    Tin Can

A.K.A Lucky Bloke ;-)

20 years ago the amount of IP traffic related to video was insignificant. Today is 3/4 of all the traffic and growing every year. The irony? Video is probably the most resilient of the services. Latency is mostly absorbed by buffering.

Regarding latency, you should test a server out of Chicago area. The current theoretical speed limit is around 2/3 of light speed, approx. 120 miles/ms, so any location out of a 500 miles radio should report more than 4 ms latency.

Rural UK here.
    My supplier is BT and It costs (circa) USD285 per year line rental and USB35 per month for copper-line unlimited high speed broadband usage.
    But this is only as good as the length of copper from the nearest 'substation'.
    My contract promises/guarantees a minimum of 32Mbps but I'm getting around 39. A few minutes ago a speed checker showed 37.86 download, 8.84 upload and 19.38 ping latency (whatever this means).
    I had a lot of hassle with BT to ensure that I got good connection speeds - initially they claimed that the lost speed was due to lines, equipment, UFOs etc etc etc.
    Fibre optic is not available here but if it was I could get around 80Mbps which is ridiculously slow compared to the 300 Mbps available in some countries.
    However, I'm finding that for the majority of the computer work I do, there is little difference in the perceived speed of operation irrespective of the claimed speed of the installed broadband system. Don't know if this info is relevant to the OPs query
    regards
    Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tonyowen View Post
    Rural UK here.
    Fibre optic is not available here but if it was I could get around 80Mbps which is ridiculously slow compared to the 300 Mbps available in some countries.
    haha, I can only dream of such speeds... yours included

recently upgraded from 1.5Mbps to 8Mbps (bandwidth of 100GB+100GB off peak) (actual between 2 and 6.5Mbps) and yep, that's as fast as we can get without going to a 4G connection which would be twice the price for about 5GB/month.

What a waste of money! My internet speed sucks! To verify I tested with different tools suggested in this http://www.androidcanvashq.com/2016/...ls-online.html

Bad surprise! I got 5 different results from testing on various sites. Don't have a clue...

The USA began the Internet and we are so far behind in terms of speed than later adopters it just plain pisses me off.

Drew Wiley

We were hooked up to DSL and it was very fast, then they pulled the plug on the service to our whole neighborhood. So now, other than stand-alone unconnected applications on the Mac, I use this antiquated PC at work; and once I retire, I'll probably just use a computer at the library like my wife does now. Maybe after the AT&T merger we might or might not get our DSL service back. The fiber optic gravy train is an utter joke. Up at my home town millions and millions of pork barrel bucks under the still-extant 1930's Rural Electrification Act were used to install fiber optics to a cowpoke's trailer who doesn't even own a computer, another branch
    to a logging ghost town, and the third branch to a summer-only fishing resort without electricity. But it turned out darn good for an ole high school buddy of mine
    who inherited the local phone company and got the fiber optic contract, at least if he didn't laugh himself to death.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moe View Post
    my synchronous speed, meaning both download and upload has increased by more than a factor of 10.
    So are there any real numbers available for your u/d speeds?

A factor with no present value and no previous value is a meaningless number.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Speakeasy is a reliable testing site: https://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    So are there any real numbers available for your u/d speeds?

A factor with no present value and no previous value is a meaningless number.

- Leigh
    This is a test 2 minutes ago and typical, unless we have very heavy rain. It's microwave from a daisy chain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speed Test 11-7-2016 1620 hours.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	157118
    Tin Can