Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommended 8x10 holders

Re: Recommended 8x10 holders

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    Most of mine came from Clayton Classic Camera which advertised in Shutterbug. They'd send a stack from a closed out studio and I'd test them and send back any leakers for a replacement. IIRC $45 would buy three plastics, $35 would get three woods. Brooklyn Camera had the same kind of deal.
    John, right after I bought my Wehman 8x10 I went on Ebay looking for film holders. Just a few minutes before I got on the site someone listed 3 plastic 8x10 holders, various size dip n dunk frames, and two little Kodak books for $30.00 buy it now with free shipping. I never clicked a mouse that fast before! When I received them they were in nice condition and light tight. Got lucky that time!

There are wood holders for 8x10 glass plates out there that may or may not have the steel film sheaths that come with them. These are not standard depth, or at least the ones I have are not. I built my own 8x10 around them so it works for me. I have 5 of these. I paid less than $100 for all of them. In fact, IIRC, I think I paid $50 for 4 of them and $20 for the first 1. I also have a broken on one side wood one of standard dimensions. I may fix it one day. I'd like to own a Sinar 8x10 conversion for the Sinar I have (and I know there's one on sale on the sales side right now, but I don't have the money right now). For the Sinar I'd need a standard 8x10 holder set. Or, make my own conversion kit to use the holders I have. Both have their appeal.

Chamonix sells new ones that I recommend, well worth the $200/holder because it's better than a ruined sheet from a trip to light leaks from plastic holders. If you don't buy new get used wooden ones, the plastic can cause static issues in dry areas and harder to repair if there are leaks.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Chamonix sells new ones that I recommend, well worth the $200/holder because it's better than a ruined sheet from a trip to light leaks from plastic holders. If you don't buy new get used wooden ones, the plastic can cause static issues in dry areas and harder to repair if there are leaks.

Good luck!
    Let's see. I've got 10 8x10 holders. To replace them at $200 a pop would run $2000 plus tax plus expenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U

I've found most 8x10 holders to be hit-and-miss in build quality, but the Toyos are consistently excellent.
    Heavier, more expensive but always reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Let's see. I've got 10 8x10 holders. To replace them at $200 a pop would run $2000 plus tax plus expenses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912DKxD0H1U
    At basically $15/sheet for color plus $200 per photo trip on average plus time spent shooting & processing, I feel like the initial investment is well worth not dealing with the frustration of a lost image. Either I've had really bad luck with used holders, or my standards for acceptable light leak etc are much higher, or I just shoot in really difficult environments. Probably a little of both. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    At basically $15/sheet for color plus $200 per photo trip on average plus time spent shooting & processing, I feel like the initial investment is well worth not dealing with the frustration of a lost image. Either I've had really bad luck with used holders, or my standards for acceptable light leak etc are much higher, or I just shoot in really difficult environments. Probably a little of both. To each their own.
    Oh, I understand where you are coming from, Stone. I just don't think my wife would understand it.

Regarding the Toyo holder, are these the one that stink? How about counterfeiting? Is that an issue? Should I choose to buy new, is there a preferred vender.

Thanks Stone for mentioning the Chamonix. Besides cost are there any other considerations, good or bad?

Any other thoughts about care and feeding these? Is anyone using self sealing anti static bags? If so, what size and type?

Thanks for all the Discussion

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by knjkrock View Post
    Regarding the Toyo holder, are these the one that stink? How about counterfeiting? Is that an issue? Should I choose to buy new, is there a preferred vender.

Thanks Stone for mentioning the Chamonix. Besides cost are there any other considerations, good or bad?

Any other thoughts about care and feeding these? Is anyone using self sealing anti static bags? If so, what size and type?

Thanks for all the Discussion

Ken
    The Chamonix come with padded bags as included, since you asked I almost forgot along with some other videos I made one specifically about the holders and their bags they come in, I find them much better than ziplock bags

Here...

http://youtu.be/Xa2o8Oqdr-A

All the 12 Lisco holders I've had were just fine at $30-50 each. I now only have 8 but the only tiny issue I've ever had was a slight crack on one darkslide, easily repaired with a bit of liquid electrical tape.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome